WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2015 WHC

Page  Page 8 of 17:  « Previous  1  ...  7  8  9  ...  16  17  Next »  
Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#106 | Posted: 30 Apr 2014 17:14 
Hmm, well it is a slightly underwhelming batch.

Ephesus at least means there is a proper world class site in there. The only other one that I find exciting is Romania's Ensemble monumental de Târgu Jiu, I thought this proposal was dead, having sat unloved on the T-list since 1991. However it certainly is a unique site and I would be happy to see it move towards inscription.

Will also have to look up a little more on Mexico's Aqueduct of Padre Temblequ, not that it seems exceptionally remarkable, just that it could be an easy one to pick up, It isn't too far from Teotihuacan.

Author Durian
Registered
#107 | Posted: 30 Apr 2014 22:37 
Winterkjm, can you get any information on Baekje nomination? I understand that the site will include Iksan, Gongju and Buyeo, but how about sites in Seoul? I will go to Seoul next week! It would be great to visit Namhansanseoung and Seoul Baekje and also Jongmyo ceremony.

Author elsslots
Admin
#108 | Posted: 1 May 2014 13:59 | Edited by: elsslots 
winterkjm:
35 New Nominations (30 Cultural - 3 Natural - 2 Mixed)

I've visited a whopping 10 of these! Far above the average for a year.
But I still agree with meltwaterfalls that 2015 seems to be a poor year. If we are having to rely on Denmark to provide new sites....

Palermo/Monreale is nice. Diyarbakir can be interesting too, but it was so long ago that I visited that I remember little. Don't know if it has better chances than Erbil, across the border in the other Kurdistan.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#109 | Posted: 2 May 2014 00:13 | Edited by: winterkjm 
elsslots:
But I still agree with meltwaterfalls that 2015 seems to be a poor year

I've visited (2) of them, (Baekje Historic Areas & the Forth Bridge). Ten is impressive!

Agreed, not a whole lot to be excited for, but Ephesus & Tusi Chieftain Sites are arguably "world class". The tentative prospects for 2016 look much better: Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier, and hopefully the "Plain of Jars".

Author Assif
Registered
#110 | Posted: 2 May 2014 10:09 | Edited by: Assif 
It seems Toraja (Indonesia) and the two Uzbek nominations (Termiz and Sarmisshay) have all been deemed incomplete for the third time. Termiz even for the fourth time. How difficult can it possibly be to compile a complete nomination??
Note that both Ukrainian nominations for 2015 would have been Crimean sites. No wonder they are no longer on the candidates list...

Author kkanekahn
Registered
#111 | Posted: 2 May 2014 12:19 
winterkjm:
But I still agree with meltwaterfalls that 2015 seems to be a poor year

In 2014 we have 4 huge nominations and possible inscriptions. ( Okavango Delta , Qhapaq Ńan, The Grand Canal , Silk Roads). In 2016, we are also waiting some huge nominations. So, this year is a little bit of disappointment for us.Obiviously, we can not expect big nominations every year

Author Assif
Registered
#112 | Posted: 2 May 2014 17:50 | Edited by: Assif 
I am personally happy to see Sudan's Red Sea nomination. It is a major marine biodiversity hotspot in an area which generally lacks proper preservation of natural assets.

Author Euloroo
Registered
#113 | Posted: 22 May 2014 08:52 
This has to be a first - celebrating a WH nomination on a banknote. Likely to be out of date next year!

Author Durian
Registered
#114 | Posted: 28 May 2014 04:13 | Edited by: Durian 
The 39th session of the World Heritage Committee (2015) will be held in Berlin, Germany (according to french sources)

Author winterkjm
Registered
#115 | Posted: 6 Jun 2014 03:31 | Edited by: winterkjm 
One wonders about Germany's incredible fortune or planning to (tentatively) be the host of the 39th World Heritage Conference, while also having (3) nominations up for inscription! On top of this Germany is a Committee member (2011-2015).

• Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District with Chilehaus
• The Naumburg Cathedral and the landscape of the rivers Saale and Unstrut
• Viking Age Sites in Northern Europe

Author Durian
Registered
#116 | Posted: 19 Jun 2014 20:56 | Edited by: Durian 
The recent but confusing Canadian report on Pimachiowin Aki said about WHC is considering that the criteria for the current evaluation process for mixed nominations might be changed. This site may appear again in 2015. Also the report said the meeting will be held in Bonn not Berlin.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/Bid-for-Manitobas-first-UN-world-heritage-site -moves-forward-263879681.html

Author Solivagant
Registered
#117 | Posted: 20 Jun 2014 04:46 
Durian:
said about WHC is considering that the criteria for the current evaluation process for mixed nominations might be changed.

This is the same issue which Mongolia raised at the beginning of this year's WHC under the agenda item "Reports of Advisory Bodies" (see the second post - http://www.worldheritagesite.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=8&topic=1815 ) . ICCROM said that they had to follow the rules and regard such sites as primarily "Cultural" rather than Natural" and no one took the opportunity to mention that the issue might be being re-considered!!

Author Solivagant
Registered
#118 | Posted: 26 Jun 2014 03:35 
I note that Bonn (and not Berlin) WAS confirmed as the location for the 2015 WHC

Author Durian
Registered
#119 | Posted: 29 Jun 2014 06:03 | Edited by: Durian 
Update on Delhi nomination

http://zeenews.india.com/news/delhi/unesco-to-examine-delhi-s-bid-for-world-heritage- city-in-sept_943682.html

Interesting that from the news, the Connaught Place is excluded from the final nomination!

Author Solivagant
Registered
#120 | Posted: 29 Jun 2014 07:18 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Durian:
Interesting that from the news, the Connaught Place is excluded from the final nomination!

Interesting indeed - one wonders if ICOMOS will regard just the Bungalow zone from among the entire Lutyens concept as having OUV in its own right. Certainly one can understand the reasons why the shopping and the main Government buildings areas create problems. (Oh - sorry, I forgot -ICOMOS's views don't seem to count for so much nowadays do they!)

I did a bit of Googling and discovered that the Bungalow Zone has been on the WMF "Watch List" in the past -2002. Noting at the time that "an official lobby of politicians and builders is determined to demolish it, branding the zone's buildings as sprawling, space-consuming, and beyond repair. Their intention is to replace them with high-rise, high-occupancy residential and commercial developments to augment the capital's housing needs. Advocates for the preservation of the Bungalow Zone have offered to draw up alternative and adaptive proposals, noting that the uniqueness of New Delhi lay in the fact that it is a city of gardens."
A Dec 2013 update commented that "Over the years, inappropriate alterations to historic bungalows have persisted, in spite of their protected status. Now, the Lutyens Bungalow Zone is threatened again by a plan to relax existing restrictions in order to allow high-rise real estate development"

This article on Real Estate prices in Delhi indicates that properties in the area can command as much as $30 million as "trophy properties" (paid for "in trunks of cash")!!!! I love the bit about the 8 categories of bungalows as far as those allocated to Indian Civil Servants are concerned.
http://numerousadventuresinindia.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/real-estate-in-new-delhi.html

Page  Page 8 of 17:  « Previous  1  ...  7  8  9  ...  16  17  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2015 WHC Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®