WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2011 WHC

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »  
Author Khuft
Registered
#91 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 11:56 
Re Causses & Cevennes: seems like the chestnut trees are not the only outstanding feature (from French perspective) - the following article also mentions another famous produce of this region dear to French gourmets: Roquefort cheese!

http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/2011/06/28/01003-20110628ARTFIG00576-les-cevenne s-et-les-causses-inscrites-a-l-unesco.php

Can we make a cheese connection?

[Speaking of which: can we make a "Sinan" connection now between Mehmed Pasha Bridge (Bosnia), Selimiye Mosque in Edirne, Istanbul (he built the Suleyman Mosque - not sure it's part of the inscribed area) and possibly even Damascus (according to wikipedia, he built the Tekkiye Mosque - not sure whether that one is inscribed either)?]

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#92 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 12:16 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Khuft:
Speaking of which: can we make a "Sinan" connection

Good spot, on a similar vein we now have a Walter Gropius connection as well, Fagus Works, Bauhaus and Berlin Modernist Housing estates.

Solivagant:
How many of the other 57 could even hope to aspire to "World Class"?

Casting a subjective eye over them I think I would put forward:
Bikini Atoll (pretty unique)
Palace Stoclet (incredible interior, rubbish visiting experience)
Fagus Works (One of the most important/ influential modernist buildings, perhaps a push for some but for me it certainly is world class)
Jantar Mantar, Jaipur (was this in the top 50 missing? If not then I forgot to put it forward)
and perhaps Causses & Cevennes (best cultural landscape to produce a renowned blue sheep's milk cheese :))

Els' review of Caral-Supe is certainly glowing but would she suggest it is World Class?

Author elsslots
Admin
#93 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 12:21 | Edited by: elsslots 
meltwaterfalls:
Caral-Supe

It's a Machu Picchu still being uncovered!

No, not that great, but still very impressive for an archeological site. And very influential in the Americas.
Comparable maybe to Meroe?

P.S.: 2009 was a pretty bad year...

Author elsslots
Admin
#94 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 12:24 
What about Tabriz?

Author elsslots
Admin
#95 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 12:25 
By the way, I would love it if you would all write reviews of some of the new sites!
If you've been there of course...

Author Khuft
Registered
#96 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 12:36 
Sorry Els, haven't been to any of the new ones...

But for those who, like me, wonder what the hell the Residence of the Bukovinian Metropolitans is - here's an overview with a lot of info & pictures.

http://www.chnu.cv.ua/materials/interof/unesco/070712/residence_eng.pdf

Author Solivagant
Registered
#97 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 13:14 | Edited by: Solivagant 
All those "Deferreds" turned into "Inscribeds" by the WHC gave me 10 new sites
Bridgetown
Hangzhou
Konso
Causses
Persian Gdn (Isfahan)
Wadi Rum
Meroe
Leon Cath
Kenya Lakes
Fort Jesus

Konso and Meroe I had done as T List entries. I like to have both something to say and a photo but
a. most of my photos of the other sites are diapositives from a fair number of years ago so I have to find them and scan them in!!
b. Not sure I have anything to say about Bridgetown, The Persian garden, Fort Jesus and Leon Cathedral!!

Author elsslots
Admin
#98 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 13:21 
Solivagant:
The Persian garden

it's an Exact locations inscribed twice too, isn't it (Pasargadae)

Author elsslots
Admin
#99 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 13:40 
At least one of us has been to the Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans - a (1) has appeared on the overview page

Author winterkjm
Registered
#100 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 14:56 
I really was not expecting 25 new sites this year. Maybe 15, but 25!!! Hopefully, submissions for 2012 are a bit lower than this year. Does anyone know when we might expect to see the list of sites submitted for the 2012 WHC?

Author winterkjm
Registered
#101 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 15:14 
I think most people would disagree with me, but I think "The Royal Tombs of the Joseon Dynasty" is world class. How many other places in the world have a complete burial tradition lasting over 500 years? Particularly, the level of authenticity of the tombs. These tombs include every single Joseon King (27), and include countless queens, crown princes, and concubines. They also showcase many of the most central principles of Confucianism. Many of these tombs are certainly not wow sites, however certain representative tombs are exciting to visit because of their size, authenticity, and location. (Donggureung cluster, Heolleung cluster, and Gwangneung cluster in particular)

I visited 10 of the 17 tomb clusters, these tombs are very impressive.

Author Assif
Registered
#102 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 16:01 | Edited by: Assif 
Ive been to the Bukovinian residence and also submitted a review. It is impressive but I would not expect it to be recognized as a world class site. On the other hand as so many of us have already pointed out repeatedly: many of the sites on the list are of dubious universal value to say the least. For the list to include only the best of the best I reckon the only way would be for Unesco not to be dependent on nominations made by the state parties but rather construe it's own tentative list with the state parties' cooperation. Only in this way could political pressures and cultural/economic biases be partially overcome.

Author Assif
Registered
#103 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 16:18 | Edited by: Assif 
What about Leon Cathedral? Nicaragua is a very poor state, one of the poorest in the Americas. I would certainly like to back them in their attempt to gain new inscriptions. But as Solivagant once pointed out they could have made an extra effort to find something a bit more special. There is a gap in the list concerning the geographic/geocultural distribution of sites across different continents. According to my calculations only 17% of the world heritage list is located in the Americas (North, Meso, South, Caribbean) which is a very low percent compared with Asia's 25% and Europe's 40%. Notwithstanding, is the best candidate to increase the representation of the Americas yet another Spanish colonial site? We already have so many of them in Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Argentina, Chile, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Rep., Panama and even Nicaragua itself!! Why not increase the representation by looking into Pre Columbian cultures, natural sites, modern sites etc.?? This is what I mean by the lack of guidance on Unesco's behalf.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#104 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 16:59 
Part of the reason the Americas have a relatively small percentage of world heritage sites, are because inactive countries. One example, the US was inactive for 15 years. (If they had been active, there could be 5-10 more sites in the US) Other countries such as Peru should have far more sites inscribed; they certainly have a slow history of submitting new sites. Belize has one site and no tentative list. Really Mexico and Brazil are the only super active countries.

Also Assif's point is a good one. Countries in the America's need to focus more on some variety in their nominations.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#105 | Posted: 28 Jun 2011 17:00 | Edited by: winterkjm 
I like the idea of UNESCO getting more involved in co-developing tentative lists. However, I think many nations would have a problem with this notion.

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2011 WHC Top
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®