WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2013 WHC

Page  Page 4 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next »  
Author winterkjm
Registered
#46 | Posted: 12 May 2012 11:08 
From what I understand 2 cultural sites can be inscribed the same year if 1 is a cultural landscape. I could be wrong?

Author winterkjm
Registered
#47 | Posted: 13 May 2012 13:29 
I am curious to see what happens with the El Pinacate and Gran Desierto de Altar
Biosphere Reserve (Mexico)
nomination. I was actually planning a road trip from LA to this desert reserve, the upper Gulf, and Puerto Penasco in the near future.

I think North Korea's Kaesong nomination will have a difficult time. Interesting nonetheless.

2 years in a row in which Brazil and Mexico are the only Latin American countries offering new nominations.

First nominations for Guinée Bissau, Lesotho (extention), and Fiji.

Quite a few countries that could have big years for inscriptions:

Complete Nominations

Canada (2)
China (2)
India (2)
Italy (2)
Iran (2)
Japan (2)
Russia (2)
Ukraine (2)

Author elsslots
Admin
#48 | Posted: 13 May 2012 14:08 
winterkjm:
From what I understand 2 cultural sites can be inscribed the same year if 1 is a cultural landscape. I could be wrong?

you're right:
examine up to two complete nominations per State
Party, provided that at least one of such nominations
concerns a natural property or a cultural landscape
and,

Author bojboj
Registered
#49 | Posted: 22 May 2012 10:52 
Seems that China's Yunnan Province is getting a lot of attention, WHS-wise.

Existing ones:
1. Lijiang
2. South China Karst (Shilin)
3. Three Parallel Rivers

2012 nomination
Chengjiang fossil site

Hani Terraces

Author winterkjm
Registered
#50 | Posted: 25 Jun 2012 13:52 

Author elsslots
Admin
#51 | Posted: 7 Jul 2012 01:03 
The next session of the Committee will take place in Phnom Penh (Cambodia) from 17 to 27 of June 2013 under the chair of Cambodia's Deputy Prime Minister Sok An.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#52 | Posted: 7 Jul 2012 02:43 
Whilst there will of course be full translation of the WHC into both English and French, it will be interesting to see in which language it is chaired by Sok An (Insofar as he carries out the job as more than just a ceremonial titular chair rather than passing the daily job onto the VPs).

Although Cambodia is still officially part of "La Francophonie" and a recipient of effort/assistance/money from France in an attempt to improve the extent of French usage, its recent history - particularly the Khmer Rouge extermination of the (French) educated classes and the increase in US influence both from unavoidable worldwide trends and because of the Cambodian diaspora to the USA , has meant a significant decline in the use of French and I hardly remember its use when I was there a few years ago.

Sok An's CV (which apparently contains some murky elements!!!) doesn't indicate any French involvement in his education and the only videos I have been able to find of him speaking in other than Khmer are of him using English (See this of him talking to Japanese newspapers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg8Ddnsojz0 )

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#53 | Posted: 7 Jul 2012 04:59 
elsslots:
The next session of the Committee will take place in Phnom Penh (Cambodia)

I may be missing something but Cambodia doesn't have a site put forward for 2013. So perhaps they won't have their traditional 'host's inscription'.

When I visited 2010 there was a lot of activity getting nominations ready for 2012 when they presumed they would host the Committee. Then things got a little heated over Preah Vihear, and things seemed to die out. Sambor Prei Kuk was the next in line but Banteay Chmar also had alot of work going into it, so maybe they will be in line for 2014?

Author Durian
Registered
#54 | Posted: 7 Jul 2012 08:24 | Edited by: Durian 
Solivagant:
it will be interesting to see in which language it is chaired by Sok An

Interesting note! The only minister I know that can speak french in Cambodian government is the minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Hor Namhong. Another interesting note is that the Cambodian delegates spoke both French and English during this year meeting. But the more interesting is that Thailand delegates also spoke French! I think these two countries are prepared and still on alert to check another country's every statement in WHC in any language that may link to Preah Vihear case!?!

Author winterkjm
Registered
#55 | Posted: 11 Jul 2012 03:30 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Huge investment in this site. $2.6 million USD

El Pinacate and Gran Desierto de Altar Biosphere Reserve (Mexico)

"Thanks to the invaluable support of the Government of the State of Sonora and the Secretariat of Federal Tourism, who along with our institution, the National Commission of Natural Protected Areas, invested nearly 35 million pesos in these facilities, a joint effort that began in 2006 representing a model of synergy and collaboration between institutions which has given excellent results and which are visible."
URL

The site reminds me very much of Death Valley National Park, but craters are larger and more prominent in the Mexican site. Biodiversity also seems to be more extensive. Beautiful place, it certainly has potential to be inscribed at the next WHC. Proposed criteria (vii, viii, x)

Author winterkjm
Registered
#56 | Posted: 1 Oct 2012 02:59 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Looks like it may be an uphill battle for Kamakura and Mt. Fuji. Many weaknesses sited in the both nominations. Apparently, (from the article) foreigners have a difficult time understanding the value of the sites!

More importantly,

From 2014, UNESCO will adopt a policy of restricting to one per country the number of World Cultural Heritage applications.

Has anyone heard anything else about this?

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/T120930002785.htm

Author Solivagant
Registered
#57 | Posted: 1 Oct 2012 04:32 | Edited by: Solivagant 
winterkjm:
From 2014, UNESCO will adopt a policy of restricting to one per country the number of World Cultural Heritage applications.Has anyone heard anything else about this?

See this document discussed at this year's WHC. Subject -
"Item 9 of the Provisional Agenda: Global Strategy for a representative, balanced and credible World Heritage List"
http://whc.unesco.org/archive/2012/whc12-36com-9A-en.pdf
and search on "6.M.H" (the full stops are important!!) -
"The Working Group invites the Committee to review Decision 35 COM 8B.61 and to make an informed and evidence-based decision with regard to returning to the original Suzhou-decision (1 cultural and 1 natural nomination per State Party) in conformity with the Global Strategy;"

After discussing this item the WHC decided
"... to include an item on Revisions to the Operational Guidelines and the Rules of Procedures on the agenda of its 37th session"

There are some other "interesting" recommendations in the document as well - States Parties not to have nominations when on the WHC etc etc!

Author Assif
Registered
#58 | Posted: 1 Oct 2012 11:48 
The list cited above which made it through by the deadline of February only includes new nominations. Does anyone know what the rule is regarding referred or deferred sites? Until when do they have to be resubmitted? Do they count for the national maximum of two sites pro year?

Author winterkjm
Registered
#59 | Posted: 1 Oct 2012 14:44 
Solivagant:
States Parties not to have nominations when on the WHC

I think this is an excellent suggestion. I hope the nomination 1 - 1 rule applies to referred and deferred sites as well.

Author Durian
Registered
#60 | Posted: 1 Oct 2012 20:44 | Edited by: Durian 
winterkjm:
Apparently, (from the article) foreigners have a difficult time understanding the value of the sites!

This is interesting, if I remember well, this is one of the problem which WHC raised in the St. Petersburg meeting that ICOMOS send someone who don't understand local culture and member states prefer regional expert to evaluate their sites. In the news Mt. Fuji report will be made by Canadian. I don't know this expert credential, but if the report come out badly with NO or defer, this problem will be raised again for sure in the WHC meeting.

Page  Page 4 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2013 WHC Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®