WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2014 WHC

Page  Page 4 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11  12  13  Next »  
Author hubert
Registered
#46 | Posted: 3 Dec 2012 14:27 
meltwaterfalls:
could someone with better German than me confirm that it is closed in November - March.

Right, the abbey is closed from November to March. Actually, the abbey is a palace with a church. The monastery was founded in the 9th Century, but was destroyed during the Thirty Years War. In the 17th Century, the abbey and the church were reconstructed in the Baroque style. And in the 18th century the abbey was converted into a palace. Thus, the interior is similar to many other Baroque castles.

The only remains of the original abbey is the westwork, it is the oldest and best preserved Carolingian westwork. It is the focus of the nomination and the only outstanding part of the complex. Probably this is the only chance for inscription, because there are only a few preserved buildings from the Carolingian period. But I'm not sure if this is enough, although it's really impressive. In my view, Corvey is worth a visit only if you're in the area.

Inside the westwork, there are some fragments of the original frescoes:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Corvey_-_Odysseus_%2B_Scylla_%2B_Charybdis.jpg ?uselang=de

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#47 | Posted: 3 Dec 2012 17:51 
hubert:
Right, the abbey is closed from November to March

Herzlichen Dank Hubert. I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some nuance.

The actual 'Westwerk' looks rather interesting, but I'm not sure if it is worth the effort as that may be all I will be able to see.
Though Höxter may actually work as a good stop over for me. Hey ho, we shall see, at least now I know I won't be seeing much more of interest than the exterior if I do vist, but to be honest that fresco doesn't make me think I will be missing out!

Author hubert
Registered
#48 | Posted: 3 Dec 2012 19:47 
meltwaterfalls:
but to be honest that fresco doesn't make me think I will be missing out!

Yep, absolutely true. And it's the most interesting and best recognizable part of the frescoes. I visited Corvey a few years ago and was quite disappointed. The church, the cloister and the interior of the former abbey is nothing special, there is nothing I've not seen in other WHS.
If the site gets the inscription in 2014, I would tick it off, even if you have seen only the exterior.

Author hubert
Registered
#49 | Posted: 5 Dec 2012 13:24 
meltwaterfalls:
I'm going to be in the area this month

I may be wrong, but is the Fagus factory your main destination? Maybe you know it already, but recently they started to offer guided tours of the interior for individual visitors. Sundays, at 10.30 am (I'm not sure, if also on December 30th).
Unfortunately, there is no information on the Fagus homepage, only on this website:

http://www.museumsverbund.de/museen/alfeld-fagus.htm

Author winterkjm
Registered
#50 | Posted: 6 Dec 2012 04:46 | Edited by: winterkjm 
More details about South America's major nomination.

Qhapaq Nan (Camino del Inca) plans to go before WHC in 2014.

http://ilovechile.cl/2012/12/05/camino-del-inca-submitted-world-heritage/74807

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#51 | Posted: 6 Dec 2012 08:19 
hubert:
I may be wrong, but is the Fagus factory your main destination? Maybe you know it already, but recently they started to offer guided tours of the interior for individual visitors. Sundays, at 10.30 am

Thank you very much for that info. Yep, 2 years after my first unsuccessful attempt I'm returning to visit the Farguswerks, hopefully I can read the train destination at Hanover better this time.

That tours does throw a spanner in the works though as I have my itinerary in a different order. perhaps I can rejig to see the tour, if it is on.

Author Assif
Registered
#52 | Posted: 22 Dec 2012 21:50 
The Iranian nomination of Vank Cathedral could be an adaptation of the Isfahan Tֹ-list entry.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#53 | Posted: 14 Jan 2013 03:26 
Seems like the Silk Road nomination will make the Feb 1st deadline.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/755444.shtml

Author winterkjm
Registered
#54 | Posted: 17 Jan 2013 23:03 | Edited by: winterkjm 

Author hubert
Registered
#55 | Posted: 23 Jan 2013 04:03 
Denmark intends to nominate the Wadden Sea for decision in 2014. Then, the Wadden Sea WHS would be complete after the inscription in 2009 (Netherlands and Germany) and the boundary change in 2011 (to include Hamburg):

http://www.shz.de/nachrichten/top-thema/artikel/welterbe-ohne-grenzen.html

Author hubert
Registered
#56 | Posted: 26 Jan 2013 03:57 
France has decided to nominate the Chauvet Cave and the volcanoes in the Auvergne (La Chaine des Puys-Faille de la Limagne) for 2014:

http://www.lamontagne.fr/auvergne/actualite/2013/01/24/la-france-proposera-au-comite- du-patrimoine-mondial-de-lunesco-la-chaine-des-puys-faille-de-limagne-1418085.html

Author hubert
Registered
#57 | Posted: 29 Jan 2013 02:07 | Edited by: hubert 
The vineyards of Langhe, Roero and Monferrato will be resubmitted for decision in 2014:

http://www.aiol.it/en/contenuti/territorio/unesco-national-commission-candidates-wine -landscape-langhe-roero-and-monferrat

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#58 | Posted: 29 Jan 2013 07:00 
How many wine landscapes are there floating around?

Rioja, Burgundy, Champagne, Prosecco, Langhe-Roero and Monferrato are there any more moving at the moment?

That Langhe-Roero and Monferrato one is pretty new to me. It turns out I mapped it a few months back, but it completely passed me by. I can't say I know the wines from the region at all.

Does anyone know if there are internal politics at play (regional rotation or the like). To my mind there is so much in Italy that could become a highlight of the list (Scorvegni Chapel, Bologna) even if they are in well represented areas, but it seems odd to go for a rather mundane agricultural landscape in an area on the list that is already well represented and there is currently a glut of competition.

Author hubert
Registered
#59 | Posted: 29 Jan 2013 11:43 
meltwaterfalls:
I can't say I know the wines from the region at all.

There are some great wines from the Piedmont region, namely the Barolo and Barbaresco. And the area around Asti is known for the Spumante, though I would not recommend it.

Truly, there are already a lot of sites on the list related to winegrowing. The vineyard connection on this website lists 25 sites, for five of them the justification criteria exclusively refer to winegrowing: Saint Emilion, Tokaj, Alto Douro, Pico Island, and Lavaux. So I think vineyards are already sufficiently represented on the list.
Moreover, the recent proposals mentioned by meltwaterfalls seem also to refer mainly on the topic wine.

Langhe-Roero-Monferrato was deferred in 2012. ICOMOS considered that the site has potentially OUV, but criticized that „this has not yet been fully demonstrated because of the property's definition. On the one hand, it is incomplete because it focuses solely on the vineyards' aesthetic aspects and omits important built components (monuments which have played a role in winegrowing and winemaking history, expertise represented by the cellars and wine houses in the urban environment, etc.). On the other, it offers a vast collection of landscapes, undeniably of high quality, but relatively similar and insufficiently critically assessed for their intrinsic winegrowing and winemaking value"
So a revised proposal probably could have good chances.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#60 | Posted: 29 Jan 2013 11:46 | Edited by: Solivagant 
meltwaterfalls:
How many wine landscapes are there floating around?

I am not sure whether it is "moving" but RSA has "Cape Winelands CL" on its T List!
The other main S Hemisphere wine producers Oz/NZ/Chile and Argentina have (so far!) not identified any of their vineyard landscapes

Page  Page 4 of 13:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11  12  13  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2014 WHC Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®