WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2012 WHC

Page  Page 4 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »  
Author elsslots
Admin
#46 | Posted: 3 Feb 2012 01:19 | Edited by: elsslots 
As far as I am aware Unesco will not publish anything about them beforehand. The only list we have is the WHC-11/35.COM/INF.8B3 at http://whc.unesco.org/en/sessions/35COM/documents/

Interested to hear about Qatar!

Author alexlove74
Registered
#47 | Posted: 3 Feb 2012 05:34 
thank you so much Els, the link is really useful, and.. I'm sad to realise I haven't seen any of those sites yet!!! for sure i'll let you know about Qatar.. for the moment I have more expectations about the Inland Sea (the other site in TL), which should be of more scenic beauty, even if it's not been nominated yet. I'll post here my impressions of both sites after the trip :) I also want to add my contribution to the TL in Google Earth (I've downloaded your file yesterday). I already loaded Cyprus, Vietnam, Saudi (easy, only Jeddah), Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, Jordan, Lebanon, Ethiopia, and I was working on India, before realizing I'm not the only crazy guy doing this job at night!!!!! It would be great if we "work" on it, with the help of somebody else, in order to have sooner or later the full map! Have you been in Saudi Arabia? Maybe we should add those 2 to the "almost impossible WHS to reach" because of the entry permit, since there is no tourism visa available yet here (i'm working on a contract here and I'm running to do all Middle East WHS and TL sites that I can, before World War III!!!!!) It's such a pleasure to be in the forum!! Have a nice day

Author winterkjm
Registered
#48 | Posted: 12 May 2012 04:08 | Edited by: winterkjm 
2012 Nominations Recommended for Inscription

Natural Sites (3)

- Lakes of Ounianga (Chad) I
- Chengjiang Fossil Site (China) I
- Sangha Trinational (Congo, Cameroon, Central African Republic) I

Mixed Sites (1)

- Rock Islands Southern Lagoon (Palau) I

Cultural Sites (10)

- Mount Carmel Caves (Israel) I
- Rabat, modern capital and historic city (Morocco) I
- Site of Xanadu (China) I
- Gonbad-e Qābus (Iran) I
- Cultural Landscape of Bali Province (Indonesia) I
- The Landscape of Grand Pré (Canada) I
- Nord-Pas de Calais Mining Basin (France) I
- Margravial Opera House Bayreuth (Germany) I
- Mining Sites of Wallonia (Belgium) I
- Heritage of Mercury. Almadén and Idrija (Spain, Slovenia) I

Author winterkjm
Registered
#49 | Posted: 12 May 2012 05:05 | Edited by: winterkjm 
2012 Nominations Not Recommended for Inscription

Cultural Sites (5)

- Hill Forts of Rajasthan (India) NI
- Schwetzingen (Germany) NI
- Archaeo-astronomical site of Kokino (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) NI
- Russian Kremlins (Russian Federation) NI
- The Twin Monastery of Wearmouth-Jarrow (United Kingdom) NI

Mixed Sites (2) (rejected: cultural and natural criteria)

- Plasencia-Monfragüe-Trujillo (Spain) NI
- Banco Chinchorro Biosphere Reserve (Mexico) NI

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#50 | Posted: 12 May 2012 08:09 
Well done winterkjm, where did you find that info?

Must admit there is nothing much to get excited about in either the inclusions or exclusions though (except Bali perhaps).

Looks like I may have some trips to north-western European disused mines coming up. I can't wait! :)

Author winterkjm
Registered
#51 | Posted: 12 May 2012 11:05 
All the information can be found on the documents portion under 36th WHC - Session.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#52 | Posted: 12 May 2012 11:18 | Edited by: winterkjm 
2012 Nominations Unknown Status (ICOMOS evaluations not included yet)

Referred back nominations (2)

- Historic town of Grand-Bassam (Côte d'Ivoire)
- Pearling, testimony of an island economy (Bahrain)

Nominations submitted for processing on an emergency basis (1)

- Birthplace of Jesus: the Church of the Nativity and the Pilgrimage Route, Bethlehem (Palestine)

Author winterkjm
Registered
#53 | Posted: 12 May 2012 11:32 | Edited by: winterkjm 
2012 Recommendations for Referral Nominations

Cultural Sites (5)

- Bassari Country (Senegal) Ref
- Elvas and its Fortifications (Portugal) Ref
- Neolithic Site of Çatalhöyük (Turkey) Ref
- Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland (Sweden) Ref
- Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) Ref

Author elsslots
Admin
#54 | Posted: 13 May 2012 08:11 
For those who like to read, the full AB evaluations of the above are here:
http://whc.unesco.org/en/sessions/36COM/documents/

Author winterkjm
Registered
#55 | Posted: 13 May 2012 12:25 
2012 Recommendations for Deferral Nominations

Natural Sites (2)

- Lena Pillars Nature Park (Russia) Def
- Western Ghats (India) Def

Cultural sites (5)

- Al Zubarah Archaeological Site (Qatar) Def
- Masjed-e Jāme' of Isfahan (Iran) Def
- Lenggong Valley (Malaysia) Def
- The Vineyard Landscape of Langhe-Roero and Monferrato (Italy) Def
- Kiev: Saint Cyril's and Saint Andrew's churches (Ukraine) Def

Author winterkjm
Registered
#56 | Posted: 13 May 2012 12:35 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Full List

Natural Sites (5)

- Lakes of Ounianga (Chad) I
- Chengjiang Fossil Site (China) I
- Sangha Trinational (Congo, Cameroon, Central African Republic) I
- Lena Pillars Nature Park (Russia) Def
- Western Ghats (India) Def

Mixed Sites (3)

- Rock Islands Southern Lagoon (Palau) I
- Plasencia-Monfragüe-Trujillo (Spain) NI
- Banco Chinchorro Biosphere Reserve (Mexico) NI

Cultural Sites (28)

- Mount Carmel Caves (Israel) I
- Rabat, modern capital and historic city (Morocco) I
- Site of Xanadu (China) I
- Gonbad-e Qābus (Iran) I
- Cultural Landscape of Bali Province (Indonesia) I
- The Landscape of Grand Pré (Canada) I
- Nord-Pas de Calais Mining Basin (France) I
- Margravial Opera House Bayreuth (Germany) I
- Mining Sites of Wallonia (Belgium) I
- Heritage of Mercury. Almadén and Idrija (Spain, Slovenia) I
- Bassari Country (Senegal) Ref
- Elvas and its Fortifications (Portugal) Ref
- Neolithic Site of Çatalhöyük (Turkey) Ref
- Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland (Sweden) Ref
- Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) Ref
- Al Zubarah Archaeological Site (Qatar) Def
- Masjed-e Jāme' of Isfahan (Iran) Def
- Lenggong Valley (Malaysia) Def
- The Vineyard Landscape of Langhe-Roero and Monferrato (Italy) Def
- Kiev: Saint Cyril's and Saint Andrew's churches (Ukraine) Def
- Hill Forts of Rajasthan (India) NI
- Schwetzingen (Germany) NI
- Archaeo-astronomical site of Kokino (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) NI
- Russian Kremlins (Russian Federation) NI
- The Twin Monastery of Wearmouth-Jarrow (United Kingdom) NI

- Historic town of Grand-Bassam (Côte d'Ivoire)
- Pearling, testimony of an island economy (Bahrain)
- Birthplace of Jesus: the Church of the Nativity and the Pilgrimage Route, Bethlehem (Palestine)

Author winterkjm
Registered
#57 | Posted: 13 May 2012 12:59 
General comments

Seems like Russia will not have 2 "easy" inscriptions this year. While Lena Pillars recieved a Deferral, I would not be suprised if it still got inscribed.

I was not expecting the UK nomination to get a (Not Inscribe), perhaps a Deferral. Somewhat suprising.

Palau and Chad will have their first site inscribed. Both nominations look like worthy additions.

Canada's nomination (Grand Pre) is recommended for inscription. I am suprised by this, as it looks like there is almost nothing left of historical remains. Reading about the site, history, and browsing pictures seem to show a very underwhelming site. I could be wrong.

China likely with 2 successful nominations. Germany 1, Spain 1, France 1, and perhaps none for Italy.

Author Khuft
Registered
#58 | Posted: 13 May 2012 16:13 | Edited by: Khuft 
winterkjm:
Canada's nomination (Grand Pre) is recommended for inscription. I am suprised by this, as it looks like there is almost nothing left of historical remains. Reading about the site, history, and browsing pictures seem to show a very underwhelming site. I could be wrong

From the description in the AB evaluation, it seems that Grand Pre is recommended for inscription for 2 reasons: a) as an example of polder landscape in North America; b) as "iconic" memorial place for the Acadians. Beemster and Schokland are cited as similar Old World examples - no wonder it may seem underwhelming on the pictures...

With regard to Wearmouth-Jarrow, the UK seems to have put to much faith on the association with Bede. The following comment seems very relevant in this context:

"ICOMOS in this context would like to recall that the World Heritage Convention is a property or site-based convention without a mandate for the commemoration of the world's most outstanding individuals."

This seems to imperil further nominations based on the association with famous persons, such as the Darwin Lab Landscape or the Swedish Linnaeus-associated site (Rise of Systematic Biology)

Author winterkjm
Registered
#59 | Posted: 13 May 2012 17:29 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Much of the documents mentions the WHC not following their recommendations and the need to stop this trend.

"The Advisory Bodies note the emergence of general concerns regarding the continued trend for the Committee not to adhere to its own Operational Guidelines in some of its decisions, notably those on nominations. They consider that this trend represents a critical threat to the credibility and reputation of the World Heritage Convention, and, if continued, could result in decisions that are impossible to implement."

"ICOMOS wishes to once again express its concerns about the difficulties raised when a "deferred" recommendation is changed into a "referred back" recommendation, which does not allow the advisory bodies to carry out an appropriate evaluation of nominations which are in many cases entirely new."

"In its recommendations, ICOMOS clearly distinguishes between nominations which are recommended to be referred back and those whic are deferred. For referred back nominations, outstanding universal value has been demonstrated to the satisfaction of ICOMOS; supplementary information must be supplied to satisfy other requirements of Operational Guidelines, but no further technical evaluation mission will be required. For deferred nominations, the very nature of the information requested (a more thorough study, major reconsideration of boundaries, a request for a substantial revision, or serious gaps as regards management and conservation issues) means that a new mission and consideration by the full ICOMOS World Heritage Panel are necessary to evaluate the nomination again, and to ensure that it has the consideration needed to advance the nomination further.

It will be intresting to see how the WHC evaluates the nominations this year. If my count is correct there were 12 nominations inscribed that were recommended for Deferral last year.

Author Durian
Registered
#60 | Posted: 14 May 2012 00:46 | Edited by: Durian 
The ugliest town in Belgium, La Louviere will now has 2 WHS, Four Lifts and Mining Sites (Bois-du-Luc)! a good way to draw tourism. Lucky I saw both, so no need to revisit this city again :)

Page  Page 4 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2012 WHC Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®