Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

Switzerland

Author nfmungard
Registered
#1 | Posted: 12 Jul 2017 04:16 
General discussions on Switzerland.
---

I will be in Switzerland for two short days in August and the Jungfrau Aletsch is the reason why. The train is really prohibitively expensive (190 CHF + 10 CHF reservation fee).

I know that there are other areas in the core zone that are free/cheap and far less crowded (see Els review). I would love to see the glacier, though. As far as I can tell this is only possible if I take the train and climb the mountain. Or arrive from the Southern side which I won't.

What are your thoughts?

Author paul
Registered
#2 | Posted: 12 Jul 2017 07:22 
Mountain bike!

Author kintante
Registered
#3 | Posted: 12 Jul 2017 09:17 
Happy to have you in Switzerland! I would suggest going to Eggishorn. Take a Train to Fiesch, close to Brig and the cable car to Eggishorn. Return trip is CHF 45. From there you have a fantastic view over the Altesch glacier and Eiger/Mönch/Jungfrau. You can even hike to the glacier if you have enough time.

When will you be in Switzerland? Over a weekend?

Author nfmungard
Registered
#4 | Posted: 12 Jul 2017 09:52 
kintante:
Happy to have you in Switzerland! I would suggest going to Eggishorn. Take a Train to Fiesch, close to Brig and the cable car to Eggishorn. Return trip is CHF 45. From there you have a fantastic view over the Altesch glacier and Eiger/Mönch/Jungfrau. You can even hike to the glacier if you have enough time.

Sounds like a good solution. Checked the train schedules and this seems to work. Just to be safe: This is in the core zone?

kintante:
When will you be in Switzerland? Over a weekend?

I will fly in Friday 11 Aug and then head for the glacier. Given Swiss prices, I can't really afford extended stays. I will stay overnight in Bern and then head for Milan next day after breakfast and some siteseeing in Bern with a potential stop in Bellinzona.

Author kintante
Registered
#5 | Posted: 13 Jul 2017 06:53 
Eggishorn is in the core zone, but boarder. Unfortunately I am attending a wedding that weekend so I can't join you. Wish you a good trip and good weather!

Author nfmungard
Registered
#6 | Posted: 13 Jul 2017 07:11 
kintante:
Unfortunately I am attending a wedding that weekend so I can't join you. Wish you a good trip and good weather!

Next time ;)

There is actual a hiking trail that seems rather nice, but probably is too difficult:

https://map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=de&showLogin=true&bgLayer=pk&resolution=5&trackId=2 157538&E=2649793&N=1138388

I will start and see how it goes :D

Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / Switzerland Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®