Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

Future UK approach to WHS

Page  Page 6 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »  
Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#76 | Posted: 30 May 2012 16:45 
I never thought of Jarrow in relation to Lorsch until it was mentioned above. I guess they are pretty similar examples, but I always hold already inscribed things in higher esteem.

Assif makes a good point though, if ICOMOS/ UNESCO are being harsh on some sites why are they not applying the same rules across the board. I can understand, and in fact welcome, leniency on under represented countries but do Croatia, France, Spain.... fall into that category?

Author Khuft
Registered
#77 | Posted: 30 May 2012 17:20 
winterkjm:
Perhaps ICOMOS recognized that they had to produce a VERY strongly worded "not inscribe" for the UK to not continue pursuing a nomination?

This does indeed seem to be a standard stratagem of ICOMOS. I did skim through the newest ICOMOS report some time ago, and it's quite astonishing - many of the nominations that are rejected in overall terms are very harshly treated on individual terms too (i.e. on integrity, authenticity, the use of a serial nomination, etc)!

Author Solivagant
Registered
#78 | Posted: 30 May 2012 17:26 | Edited by: Solivagant 
winterkjm:
Perhaps ICOMOS recognized that they had to produce a VERY strongly worded "not inscribe" for the UK to not continue pursuing a nomination?

If they were to do such a thing they would be exceeding their remit in a totally unjustifiable way. As heritage professionals they are supposed only to be "on tap" to the WHC, not "on top". Such judgements are not their job!

Author winterkjm
Registered
#79 | Posted: 30 May 2012 22:14 | Edited by: winterkjm 
I was being somewhat sarcastic. (But who knows, perhaps a grain of truth?) Maybe ICOMOS is making a more concerted effort to weed out weaker nominations as we reach the 40th anniversary of the convention. The expectation is for ICOMOS and the WHC to be objective, this is a fantastic goal, but very hard to achieve on a consistant basis. Nevertheless, I do agree there is room for improvement.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#80 | Posted: 31 May 2012 01:26 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Whatever they are doing they do not appear to be doing in a consistent way - my comments are not about it being hard on "weaker" nominations but about it not being consistent across all of them!

And whatever it does about being "hard" or "easy" across all sites or across just those of certain geographical areas should be initiated and backed up by open policy statements -not carried out on its own initiative!

Author winterkjm
Registered
#81 | Posted: 11 Oct 2012 06:09 

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#82 | Posted: 11 Oct 2012 11:53 
Thanks for posting that last one winterkjm, was wanting to know the outcome of that bid, but wasnt in the office to find out

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#83 | Posted: 3 Sep 2013 07:49 

Author Euloroo
Registered
#84 | Posted: 25 Sep 2013 06:26 | Edited by: Euloroo 
Looks like the Lake District nomination is happening. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24226705
Was this ever in doubt?

Author Solivagant
Registered
#85 | Posted: 25 Sep 2013 08:34 | Edited by: Solivagant 
There has been opposition to it both locally and nationally
a. The Guardian article, asserting that the Lake District Landscape is ersatz and unsustainable - as quoted above by Meltwaterfalls
b. Locals fearing that the extra bureaucracy and protection will cost jobs etc (It is claimed by those in favour that inscription wouldn't increase the protection restrictions one iota.....!!) http://www.itv.com/news/border/update/2013-09-23/full-report-lake-district-in-world-h eritage-bid/

It will be interesting to see what sort of boundaries are decided upon. This article of unclear date suggests that some towns need to be included in order to provide a fully rounded "Cultural Landscape" http://www.lawhf.gov.uk/Activity_focus.asp?This=5&Type=1

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#86 | Posted: 9 Jan 2014 07:43 
The UK Department for Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) has just confirmed the Lake District will be proposed in 2016.

No real surprise there:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the-lake-district-will-be-uks-new-world-heritage-n omination

Author winterkjm
Registered
#87 | Posted: 9 Jan 2014 23:20 | Edited by: winterkjm 
meltwaterfalls:
proposed in 2016.

The nomination will be evaluated in 2017.

"Unesco is expected to make a final decision on the Lake District's inclusion in June 2017."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/chatham-dockyards-bid-for-unesco-world -heritage-site-status-is-blocked-9049750.html

Author Durian
Registered
#88 | Posted: 15 Jan 2014 06:30 | Edited by: Durian 
From the news above, it also give some information on other UK sites like Jordell, flow country, etc. Btw I am confused with this report "It was the second blow to Chatham's hopes after the docks lost out to the Forth Rail Bridge in Scotland for nomination in June 2012" I never heard any nomination on Forth Rail! Or did I miss something?

Author Solivagant
Registered
#89 | Posted: 15 Jan 2014 08:42 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Durian:
"It was the second blow to Chatham's hopes after the docks lost out to the Forth Rail Bridge in Scotland for nomination in June 2012" I never heard any nomination on Forth Rail! Or did I miss something?

The English language used is a bit convoluted - It doesn't refer to an actual "nomination" - rather to the fact that Chatham "lost out" in Jun 2012 because the UK government decided then that the next 2 nominations should be for the Forth Bridge and Gorham's Cave. Chatham would had been hoping to be placed next in line as it was on the UK's previous T List and had already been postponed once a few years ago during the period when UK kept trying with Darwin at Downe. So now they have been put behind the Lake District too
See this report of the event dated 28 May 2012 which relates to Chatam's first "blow"! -
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/two-new-uk-world-heritage-nominations-to-be-put-fo rward--2

By the way - since "Prepare a bid for 2014" means to deliver it in 2014 for consideration at the 2015 WHC after evaluation by ICOMOS during 2014, then, as I remember it, the deadline is 31 Jan 2014 - only a few days left!!!
All other countries hoping to submit Nomination Dossiers for consideration at the 2015 WHC should be dotting the final "i's" and crossing the final "t's" too!! We should soon be getting news from various parts of the World indicating whether the deadlines have been met or not

Author Solivagant
Registered
#90 | Posted: 24 Jan 2014 07:13 | Edited by: Solivagant 
The UK "Department of Culture, Media and Sport (Scottish Office)" today announced that it has nominated the Forth Bridge for WHS Inscription - this presumably means that it has submitted the Nomination Documents in line with the required deadline of Jan 31 2014 for consideration at the 2015 WHC.

Unfortunately I have been unable to access a copy of said Nomination File on the Web!
But this page leads to other pages describing the claimed OUV etc
http://www.forthbridgeworldheritage.com/world-heritage.html

The "political" dimension to this is quite amusing given the upcoming Referendum on Scottish Independence (18 Sept 2014). The SNP is making sure that the Scottish Government (which it controls) is doing everything possible to "celebrate" Scottish events of all kinds - so this summer we have the Anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn and the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. This document from Transport Scotland describes a "Historic Scotland: Likely high profile event to celebrate submission of the nomination" alongside the Bannockburn and Commonwealth Games events!
http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/files/Forth%20Bridges%20Forum%20-%20Upload%20-%20 Meeting%2006%20-%20Paper%2002%20-%20Events%20Planner%20-%2019%20February%202013_0.pdf

Page  Page 6 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / Future UK approach to WHS Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®