Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

Malta WHS

Author nfmungard
Registered
#1 | Posted: 19 Dec 2016 03:56 
Looking at my yearly Easter trip and considering doing a weekend in Malta before heading over to Sicily. As such, I would obviously like to tick off all of the 3 Maltese sites, but the Hypogeum is closed for the time being.

Anyone (Clyde) know if (when) they plan to reopen?

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#2 | Posted: 19 Dec 2016 05:51 
The only thing I have turned up is that according to the original grant the project was due to complete on 30.04.17

Bad timing for you if that is true. However these projects do tend to over run, so it may not be quite as close.

Author clyde
Registered
#3 | Posted: 19 Dec 2016 12:07 
I'm afraid the Hypogeum is closed at the moment and won't be open before summer 2017 :(

Instead, I'd highly recommend taking the ferry to Gozo to take in the Ggantija Megalithic Temple as well as the tentative newly restored fortifications of Victoria, Gozo (aka Cittadella). Don't miss a visit to Mdina (Malta) too.

I'm sure these sites will make up for the Hypogeum, which will be a good enough excuse to revisit in the future.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#4 | Posted: 20 Dec 2016 01:40 | Edited by: nfmungard 
clyde:
I'm sure these sites will make up for the Hypogeum, which will be a good enough excuse to revisit in the future.

Me ... Not much of a repeat visitor :D

Thanks meltwaterfalls and clyde for the feedback. Will go ahead and cut down to 8-9 sites 10 days. Still not to bad ;)

Author clyde
Registered
#5 | Posted: 30 Mar 2017 15:40 
The Hypogeum is to reopen as of 15th May 2017 and regular tour tickets can already be booked online for 35euros! For an extra 5 euros one can also go for an audiovisual tour.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#6 | Posted: 30 Mar 2017 17:11 
€35 for a tour, yikes anything that makes the Tower of London look affordable is putting itself at the very premium end of WHS.

Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / Malta WHS Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®