Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

Russia

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  
Author jeanbon
Registered
#46 | Posted: 31 Jul 2017 14:56 
nfmungard:
I think they are messing with you. Having been to Iran does not cancel any US trip for 5 years. It just makes you unsuited for ESTA. Instead you have to go the embassy, do a Gesinnungscheck as we would call them in German and then you get a Visa; a friend recently did. I think on top it costs you 100$. It should go without saying, but I would definitively NEVER lie to the American (or German for that matter) immigration authorities.

Yes, i can obtain a special and expensive visa, but it's annoying. I have to give a lot of personnal informations. And in your opinion, it's valid forever? That means, if i can't lie by omission, i couldn't go to US anymore without this visa??? I normally don't need visa for going to US.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#47 | Posted: 31 Jul 2017 15:04 
jeanbon

If you have been to Iran you can't go to the US without visum. PERIOD. And again: Do not try to trick them with legalities such as omissions. Get a visa and get it done; ESTA is off the table for the time being if you have been to Iran. And this applies also for simple transit flights.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#48 | Posted: 31 Jul 2017 15:08 | Edited by: Solivagant 
jeanbon:
That means, if i can't lie by omission, i couldn't go to US anymore without this visa???

NO -
5 years after you went to Iran you can go to USA either to stay as a tourist or to transit on the Visa Waiver scheme WITHOUT a visa. After 5 years you cn legitimately answer "no" to the question "have you visited xxxxx in the last 5 years?". Before the 5 years are up, the legal requirement is that you apply for visa - which includes a face to face interview. I haven' t yet read a report of anyone who went to Iran for purely "touristic" reasons who has already applied for a visa on these terms ( they are an Obama era thing NOT a Trump one so there ought to be known examples of how the US has acted somewhere on the Web!). One would hope that the US authorities would be sensible.
As for how long a US tourist visa lasts after issue. You can get 10 year visas or 6 mth ones - I don't know the difference in cost or in the likely difference in difficulty of getting one. It partly depends on citizenship ( all other things being equal). If/when you need then do some Web searches!!. Onthis web site both Els and I face this problem having visited Iran last year.
By the way a US visa in UK costs $160 - the French cost may or may not be the same as the German cost.

Author jeanbon
Registered
#49 | Posted: 31 Jul 2017 15:10 
Are you sure? Now all my travels will cost 100€ more forever if i want to go to US?? It's crazy!

Author nfmungard
Registered
#50 | Posted: 31 Jul 2017 15:15 

Author jeanbon
Registered
#51 | Posted: 31 Jul 2017 15:16 
Solivagant:
NO - 5 years after you went to Iran you can go to USA either to stay as a tourist or to transit WITHOUT a vias on the Visa Waiver scheme. Before the 5 years are up the legal requirement is that you apply for visa - which includes a face to face interview. I haven' t yet read a report of anyone who went to Iran for purely "touristic" reasons who has already applied for a visa. One would hope that the US authorities would be sensible.As for how long a US tourist visa lasts after issue. You can get 10 year visas or 6 mth ones - I don't know the difference in cost or in the likely difference in difficulty of getting one. It partly depends on citizenship ( all other things being equal). If/when you need do some Web searches?

...I didn't read this 5 years "ban" information, but i prefer your statement :D.
I believed that when i will buy another passport, it would be sufficient for going to US

Author Sjobe
Registered
#52 | Posted: 1 Aug 2017 05:31 | Edited by: Sjobe 
Just a tiny note to this Russian visa discussion. Firstly, I must admit that as a Finnish person I'm in a lucky position because we have comparatively easy and cheap visa procedure due to Finland's special (love/hate, friend/enemy, etc.) neighbour relationship with Russia. Anyway, just in case someone doesn't know, there have been already some years a possibility to visit Russia without visa by travelling by ferry from Helsinki to Saint Petersburg. You can stay maximum 72 hours in Russia without visa but you should return by same ferry. Officially the visa-free journey is only for tourist groups so you must leave and enter the Saint Petersburg ferry terminal only by the official shuttle bus but after that you are free to go wherever you want. If you stay overnight you also should have a hotel confirmation/voucher. So this is one alternative to visit Russia (mostly Saint Petersburg and environments) without any visa hassle. And of course you can combine it to your visit to Finland ;)

More information and booking from the shipowner's web site (English pages are "under construction" but maybe you can use Google Translate): http://www.stpeterline.fi

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / Russia Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®