Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

Peru

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2  
Author nfmungard
Registered
#16 | Posted: 7 Jul 2017 15:53 
I like the stops you added to your trip. I will have to cut a few, though, as I really wanna see the missions in Bolivia and Potosi. What was your non WHS highlight that shouldn't be missed?

Kbecq:
Caral Supe (daytrip from Lima)

How did you go and how much did it cost?

Kbecq:
Day 4: Transfer to Nazca & flight Nazca lines

When did you book and how much did it cost?

I don't plan to hike the Inca Trail so that saves a little time.

Author Kbecq
Registered
#17 | Posted: 7 Jul 2017 18:02 
nfmungard
For Caral the initial plan was to go with Mirabus which does day trips to Caral every Saturday departing from Kennedy Parc in Miraflores. The cost is PEN 240pp (approx. EUR 65) including a lunch, the entrance fee & a guide. However, as there were not enough people wanting to make the trip on the Saturday we wanted to go, the tour was cancelled. Since we had planned our Peru trip with the help of a local agency (incl. the Caral trip), the agency provided an alternative at their expense for the additional fee. So we ended up going in a small group (4 people) with Haku Tours (USD 165pp also incl. lunch, entrance fees, ...) instead of with Mirabus. From Lima it's a three hour drive to Caral (one way) and we were on site for about two hours.

For Nazca we booked the flight with Movilair which was USD 110pp. There are certainly less expensive options available, but we booked in advance to avoid having to wait for a long time at the airport.

Author tonylag
Registered
#18 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 17:14 
hi,

i am doing a group travel in South Peru: find the itinary here below:
https://www.sawadeereizen.be/rondreizen/midden-en-zuid-amerika/peru/per-de-mysterieuz e-erfenis-van-de-inca-s/uitgebreide-reisroute/

it is in Dutch, so if you need any help, you can ask for translation.

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 11 Jul 2017 23:12 
nfmungard:
Kbecq:
Day 4: Transfer to Nazca & flight Nazca lines

When did you book and how much did it cost?

I did stay at the Walk on Inn Hostel, and booked with them the night before after I arrived at 21.30 (95USD in 2011). The hostel though seems not exist anymore, but others may provide the same service.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#20 | Posted: 28 Jul 2017 08:19 
Our connection Greatest Altitude Variations says PE-XP-40/CS-2011 is Santuario Arqueológico de Pachacamac. Our map positions the two apart (tentative site plus Qhapap Nan. Are these the same?

Author Solivagant
Registered
#21 | Posted: 29 Jul 2017 01:27 | Edited by: Solivagant 
nfmungard:
Our map positions the two apart (tentative site plus Qhapap Nan. Are these the same?

My belief/understanding is
a. Our T List coordinates for Pachacamac are correct
b. We have correctly copied the UNESCO provided coordinates for PE-XP-40/CS-2011
c. Page 1862 of the Qapaq Nan Nomination file contains a map for PE-XP-40/CS-2011. That map shows PE-XP-40/CS-2011 to consist of 3 separate elements divided by main roads (the boundaries are shown by a red line) - if you look at the area on Google maps the 2 roads causing the division are clear - there is the main site of Pachacamac to the south and the "Humedales de Mamacona" Wetlands to the north of the "Antigua Panamericana" The Wetlands themselves are divided by a N/S highway. It would appear that the Humedales are considered a part of the site of Pachacamac.
d. BUT, the coordinates provided by UNESCO are actually in the built up area of Julio C Tello (Named after the Peruvian archaeologist who also has/had a palace at ChanChan named after him - see my review!). In the Qapaq Nan nomination file map for PE-XP-40/CS-2011 this suburb, including the chosen coordinates within it, is clearly outside all 3 of the "red line" bounded areas - and has the main site of Pachacamac to its south and the wetlands to its west and north. SO - the coordinates provided by UNESCO for PE-XP-40/CS-2011 are NOT INSIDE PE-XP-40/CS-2011 - and, in that sense are "incorrect".
e. HOWEVER (!!!!) the Qapac Nan map also shows a dotted yellow line from the centre of the Pachacamac site and then going north east THROUGH the suburb of Julio c Tello (i.e it goes both inside and OUTside the "red line" boundaries given for PE-XP-40/CS-2011!!) This dotted line is the route of the Qapaq Nan -this convention is used in all of the maps. I think you will find that the modern road of Avenida Julio Cesar Tello folows the route of the old Qapaq Nan as shown on the Nomination file map -SO the coordinates given inside the suburb are correct in showing one spot on the route of the Qapaq Nan! But quite why THAT spot should have been chosen isn't clear - is it a mistake which just happens to be on the route of the road or was it intended? Why wasn't a spot on the road INSIDE PE-XP-40/CS-2011 chosen? etc etc. The "Legend" accompanying the maps clearly states that the red line surrounds the "Nominated Property" (and even gives its area in Hectares to 2 decimal places!). But then it also says that the yellow dotted line is the Qapac Nan!
f. As we have commented before - the Qapaq Nan nomination file is an enormous "beast" which doesn't clearly explain the exact areas inscribed. For instance archaeological sites like Pachacamac are described as being "Associated with....." the Qapaq Nan. How many other Qapaq Nan coordinates have a similar "problem" I know not!

So - it is up to you - I would visit Pacahacamac thus picking up the T List and, whilst there ensure that I find the route of the yellow dotted line inside PE-XP-40/CS-2011 and then - possibly and ONLY if I had time and the inclination - try to follow the Qapaq Nan along the modern road in Julio Tello! It is a 1.6km walk from the Pachacamac Museum along the Panamericano and into Julio Tello to the Qapaq Nan locator!

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / Peru Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®