Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

Dutch WHS / The Netherlands

Author joycevs
Registered
#1 | Posted: 2 Jun 2015 05:31 
No topic for The Netherlands yet, so here it is.

June 13 and 14 is World Heritage weekend in Holland and all the WHS have special activities.
The city of Amsterdam organizes many events on the 14th, free of cost, including a boat ride on the canals, city walks and a bus tour to three WHS in one day! See their website for more info and to sign up

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#2 | Posted: 8 Jun 2015 18:03 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
The bus tour to three WHS in one day seems to be missing a trick to me. I reckon you could visit all the Netherland's WHS in one day (excluding Willemstadt of course).

09:00 Gather in the lobby of the Van Nelle Factory for a 45 minute tour
09:50 head off to Kinderdijk, a quick 15 minute photo stop and view inside a windmill
10:40 drive to Rietveld Schroeder House for another tour.
12:15 drive to Shokland, have some lunch in the cafe and walk a lap around the former island
14:00 drive to Ir. D.F. Woudagemaal for a run though of the machinery.
14:50 drive to Beemster Polder, stopping on the Breezanddijk to enter the core zone of the Wadden See, take a photo of some birds and look at some mud.
16:15 after a walk around the visitor centre in Middenbeemster drive along the dijks to quickly explore some of the forts along the Kanaaldijk, that are listed as part of the Stelling van Amsterdam.
17:00 drop everyone off at the World Heritage podium in Amsterdam.

It would be fairly hard going but in 8 hours you could do reasonable justice to 9 WHS. It may not be fun but it would be an achievement!

Author hubert
Registered
#3 | Posted: 10 Jun 2015 15:18 
meltwaterfalls:
I reckon you could visit all the Netherland's WHS in one day

Well, that might be possible and would save a lot of time. However, I've spent some more time in the Netherlands end of May: three days in Amsterdam (my third visit) and seven days for seven WHS, a few TWHS and several other worthwhile sites. Some of them would deserve a place on the list.
Certainly, the country is only inadequately represented by its WH list: a bit too much 'Hollands struggle against water'. Without doubt emblematic of the Netherlands, but most importantly (at least for me) it's a great country for fans of modern architecture.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#4 | Posted: 20 Jul 2015 09:59 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Do we know what the potential order may be for Dutch nominations? I know the Frontiers of the Roman Empire extension is up for 2017 and Koloniën van Weldadigheid is looking at being nominated in 2018, but is there anyting else

Most relevantly does anyone know of the potential progress of Sanatorium Zonnestraal?

Author elsslots
Admin
#5 | Posted: 20 Jul 2015 15:01 | Edited by: elsslots 
meltwaterfalls:
Most relevantly does anyone know of the potential progress of Sanatorium Zonnestraal?

Not before 2020: http://www.hilversumsnieuws.nl/lees/43348/nog-geen-voordracht-werelderfgoedlijst-voor -zonnestraal- (there seems to be OUV, but more research is necessary; same story with Koninklijk Eise Eisinga Planetarium and the Bonaire National Marine Park)

And the official list for the coming years:
De Koloniën van Weldadigheid ( Veenhuizen, Frederiksoord en Ommerschans), together with the Flemish colonies Wortel and Merksplas.
De Nieuwe Hollandse Waterlinie, extension of WHS of Stelling van Amsterdam
De Plantages van West-Curaçao
Roman Limes, together with Germany and as an extension of Frontiers of the Roman Empire

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#6 | Posted: 21 Jul 2015 05:48 
Thanks for that Els.

Some very 'exciting' sites coming up there :(

Author winterkjm
Registered
#7 | Posted: 21 Jul 2015 12:29 
elsslots:
De Plantages van West-Curaçao

While I know very little about these nominations, and the WHS in the Netherlands in general. Curacao has long interested me as a potential destination from Los Angeles. I would love to spend a week exploring Curacao and Bonaire.

Author elsslots
Admin
#8 | Posted: 21 Jul 2015 13:23 
winterkjm:
elsslots: De Plantages van West-Curaçao

These are the plantations Ascencion, San Juan, Savonet and Knip. The dreaded 'water management' word is used here too in the description of the TWHS. Also, these plantations are very different from the large scale plantations with crops for export that can be found elsewhere.

I wrote my master thesis on the abolishment of slavery on Curacao, so it should be of interest to me too! But I've never been to Curacao.

Author elsslots
Admin
#9 | Posted: 7 Aug 2015 10:29 
elsslots:
And the official list for the coming years:2017De Koloniën van Weldadigheid ( Veenhuizen, Frederiksoord en Ommerschans), together with the Flemish colonies Wortel and Merksplas.2018De Nieuwe Hollandse Waterlinie, extension of WHS of Stelling van Amsterdam2019De Plantages van West-Curaçao2020Roman Limes, together with Germany and as an extension of Frontiers of the Roman Empire

I just noticed that the years mentioned here have to be read +1. So the Kolonien will be brought forward in 2017, for an inclusion in 2018 (which fits with the 200 year anniversary of the site)

Author joycevs
Registered
#10 | Posted: 12 Feb 2016 05:14 
The Dutch children TV program Het Klokhuis made a series about World Heritage in The Netherlands.
To celebrate this, they will host a special event at the Van Nelle Fabriek on March 5th : world heritage day

Author elsslots
Admin
#11 | Posted: 6 Nov 2016 23:23 | Edited by: elsslots 
Bringing this over from the Germany WHS topic
Assif:
2018:Jewish Cemetery of Altona (with Suriname!)

A Jewish cemetery in the Netherlands was also asked to join this serial transboundary nomination, but the Ministry of Culture deemed that there was too little chance of success when nominating only cemeteries:
http://www.bethhaim.nl/unesco-werelerfgoednominatie/

Author elsslots
Admin
#12 | Posted: 10 Jun 2017 08:57 | Edited by: elsslots 
Interesting piece in the Parool newspaper today:
http://www.parool.nl/opinie/-grachtengordel-heeft-unesco-keurmerk-gekregen-door-onjui ste-aanname~a4500025/

It points out the incorrect description of the Canal Ring of Amsterdam in the ICOMOS AB evaluation and at the Unesco website.
In both sources it is mentioned that 'draining the swampland' was necessary to expand the city limits and create the canal ring. But there was never any marshland or swamp in the area. The text also isn't in the nomination file prepared by the Dutch.
The author suggests that although the ICOMOS/Unesco text has been reviewed by the Dutch authorities, noone asked for a change as it may have sounded like a nice marketing story.

Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / Dutch WHS / The Netherlands Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®