Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

Germany - World Heritage

Page  Page 6 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »  
Author elsslots
Admin
#76 | Posted: 6 Nov 2016 23:36 | Edited by: elsslots 
Assif:
Jewish Cemetery of Altona (with Suriname!)

According to this, Hamburg is exploring two variations: one on its own and one serial transboundary nomination.

The latter should also include Jewish cemeteries in Suriname, Jamaica and Curacao (?).
The Netherlands so far has rejected joining with a jewish cemetery in Ouderkerk aan de Amstel, as the Ministry deemed that chances of success of such a narrow nomination of only jewish cemeteries would be too slim. I guess this would also apply to Curacao (not) joining this nomination.

Author clyde
Registered
#77 | Posted: 6 Dec 2016 04:06 
meltwaterfalls: Bauhaus
"My advice, if you are wanting to get the best out of this World Heritage Site, make the trip to Dessau."

I totally agree with you on this one. I had a totally different experience when I stopped to visit the site in Dessau. I did both tours and can definitely recommend Dessau over Weimar (even though I don't consider myself as a modernist building enthusiast!). The sites at Weimar are just a welcome sidetrip if you have time to spare from Classical Weimar.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#78 | Posted: 6 Dec 2016 10:58 
Yeah the Wiemar sites were really missing the sense of being somewhere special. If I hadn't visited them I don't feel like I would have really missed much in Wiemar. Though I will add that we only saw Haus am Horn from the outside as they didn't have tours whilst we were there, and that may have added something.

If anyone has the time then staying at the Bauhaus Dessau is seriously recommended, and added so much to the visit for us, even if we were already "in the tank" in terms of its appeal.

Author pikkle
Registered
#79 | Posted: 6 Dec 2016 11:13 
I actually found the Weimar buildings really interesting, having visited both Dessau and Weimar. One can see progression and I actually like the little 1928 student test building. It doesn't hurt that it's between the "Silver Age" cemetery and the Park an der Ilm. You literally can look across the street and see Liszt's home, as well. There's a sense of modernity, of the change to utility from Art Nouveau, to a "campus" built for learning, elegant, but simply without the overwrought trappings of earlier universities. Going inside the main building and the Haus am Horn are both really important, as well. Of course, Dessau represents a culmination, but as someone interested in the process and transition, I loved Weimar and thought of it as a treat included in the 17th-19th c. world of Weimar itself. I thought it was important to see Van de Veldt's Haus Hohe Pappeln, as well and its not truly Bauhaus, but its on the way.

Author pikkle
Registered
#80 | Posted: 6 Dec 2016 11:15 | Edited by: pikkle 
That said, I can understand, after visiting Dessau, someone's disappointment with the less "advanced" Weimar.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#81 | Posted: 6 Dec 2016 12:18 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
pikkle:
but as someone interested in the process and transition, I loved Weimar and thought of it as a treat included in the 17th-19th c. world of Weimar itself

Actually yep that is a very good point, and like you say the transition from neo-Classical architecture to Art Nouveau to Modernism is well demonstrated around the various sites in Weimar. Perhaps a tour focusing on the development angle would really have bought the sites alive for us, as it was our visit was mostly joining some students wandering around campus, then looking in a quirky gift shop.

I guess I was just a little disappointed that I couldn't get the same frission from the site that I did in Dessau. Also we were in a bit of a different mindset in Weimar, like you say there are plenty of other sites to see and the Bauhaus bits were just an additional extra, but in Dessau they were the main attraction.

Author Assif
Registered
#82 | Posted: 19 Feb 2017 03:04 
Despite the recommendation made by the expert committee Schwerin and the Bavarian castles of Ludwig II will not be running together due to the Bavarians' refusal. This means, as a Schwerin representative puts it, that since both sites cover the same slot of historicism they will be competing against each other. Therefore, the one being considered first will have a greater chance of inscription.

http://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/mecklenburg-vorpommern/Weltkulturerbe-Schwerin-geht-all ein-ins-Rennen,welterbe168.html

Author Durian
Registered
#83 | Posted: 23 Feb 2017 22:49 

Author elsslots
Admin
#84 | Posted: 24 Apr 2017 23:08 
I'd like to share a discovery Assif made:

"there was a DDR T list from 1984. It is not recorded at the Unesco documentation because by the time they assembled all the lists in 1991 the DDR ceased to exist. The list included three sites:

Semper Oper, Dresden - later extended to the city centre (include in history of Dresden nomination)
Schloss Sanssouci, Potsdam - extended to the 1990 nomination (update history, add connection Extended from original TWHS)
Doberaner Münster - never nominated (add as a new German former TWHS)

See: http://www.muenster-doberan.de/index.php?id=287

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#85 | Posted: 25 Apr 2017 09:35 
elsslots:
I'd like to share a discovery Assif made

Great find Assif, well done.

Author tonylag
Registered
#86 | Posted: 12 May 2017 13:15 
hello,

somebody has been to Strahlsund and Wismar? If there is only time to see one? What would you recommend?

kind regards TONY

Author nfmungard
Registered
#87 | Posted: 12 May 2017 13:38 
tonylag:
If there is only time to see one? What would you recommend?

I have only been to Wismar. Stralsund is supposedly nicer, at least that's what my parents said. On the other hand side logistics with Wismar, especially if you plan to travel on to Lübeck are easier.

Author Kbecq
Registered
#88 | Posted: 12 May 2017 14:28 
tonylag
We have been to both Wismar & Stralsund. It's difficult to pick one but we would also go for Stralsund.

But as mentioned, it also depends on your itinerary - Wismar is closed to Lübeck while Stralsund is closer to e.g. Jasmund National Park. This being said, the autobahn connecting both cities is very calm (at least when we were there) and there is no speed limit so if you (and your car) feel comfortable with high speeds, it does not take that long to go from Wismar to Stralsund or vice versa.

Author tonylag
Registered
#89 | Posted: 14 May 2017 14:22 
Thanks for advise. I will go to Wismar (closer to Hamburg where I stay). Stralsund and Jasmund will be for a later visit.

Author tonylag
Registered
#90 | Posted: 3 Jun 2017 12:52 
In the middle of Germany there is a "ring of world heritage" I noticed. In a short time it is possible to visit a lot of WHS sites and tentative sites. I started with a rental car from Hamburg airport.
WHS 1: Goslar/Rammelsberg
WHS 2: Quedlinburg
TWHS1: Mansfeld St. George Church
TWHS2: Eisleben: churches
WHS3: Eisleben Luther birthhouse and house where he died
TWHS3: Halle: Francke foundation
WHS4: Dessau: Bauhaus
TWHS4: Laubenganghauser
WHS5: Dessau-Worlitz
WHS3b: Wittenburg
back to Halle
TWHS5: Naumburg
WHS4b: Weimar: Bauhaus
WHS6: Classical Weimar
TWHS6: ERfurd: old synagoge
WHS7: Hainich Beech forest
WHS8: Wartburg castle
WHS7b: Keller Wald
WHS9: Bergpark Wilhelmshoge
WHS10: Corvey
TWHS7: Bad Pyrmont
WHS11: Fagus factory
WHS12: Hildesheim
afterwards i got back to Hamburg by Bremen
WHS13: Bremen
WHS14: Hamburg Speicherstadt
TWHS8: Hamburg Jewisch cemetery
TWHS9: Schwerin
WHS15: Wismar
WHS16: Lubeck
Best one on the top 200 List is the Bauhaus sites on place 284. Personally I liked classical Weimar (place 453) and Lubeck (place 325) most. My previous trip to the Western USA almost had no WHS and TWHS, but the national parks left a far bigger impression then this quantity of WHS.

Page  Page 6 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / Germany - World Heritage Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®