Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

Germany - World Heritage

Page  Page 2 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »  
Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#16 | Posted: 7 Nov 2013 11:25 
Khuft:
Do you have Bamberg on the agenda? That's definitely worth seeing

I have already visited (and really enjoyed it) although my wife hasn't been so depending on how Nuremberg treats us we may head there. At the very least I will settle in somewhere for a Rauchbeer though.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#17 | Posted: 4 Dec 2013 05:32 
We had a rather lovely trip to Nuremberg.

The court house was rather interesting. Though I'm not sure if it would have much chance in terms of become in a WHS though as I feel it's motives may be viewed as far too political. I fear too many countries would be reluctant to sign up to something which is essentially the start of the International Criminal Court; especially when the countries that haven't ratified the actual ICC include China, India, USA, Russia, Indonesia and Iran.

I though the Nazi Rally Ground monuments were very well dealt with. The interpretation at the Documentation centre was very impressive.

I liked the rest of Nuremberg too, it had a nice comfortable affluent feeling and a general relaxed atmosphere that keeps me coming back to Central Europe so regularly.

It seems another thing that keeps me coming back is also trying to get on the Memory of the World list:
Reinheitsgebot wants to join a list of "intangible heritage"

It certainly has my endorsement.

Author hubert
Registered
#18 | Posted: 11 Dec 2013 13:28 
meltwaterfalls:
We had a rather lovely trip to Nuremberg.

Good to hear, that you had a nice time in Nuremberg.
I share your opinion on the Court Room nomination, but I like the idea that it is on the T-list. The final decision is expected for next year. And I can understand that the authorities in Nuremberg have nominated the courtroom for the new T-list and not the Nazi Party Rally Grounds (which was also suggested a few years ago). Of course, they prefer to be associated with a positive site and they don't want to create an iconic site for Neo-Nazis. In this respect, they dealt indeed very well with the area: preserve the remains, install a documentation centre, and open the grounds for the public as an urban recreational area.

Re: "Reinheitsgebot for intangible heritage"
My support too. Germany recently ratified the Unesco Convention on Intangible Heritage and is now collecting proposals for the first nominations. Thus, in these days Google search yields a bulk of suggestions of strange traditions, rural customs and local folk festivals, widely unknown to everyone outside the respective town. The Reinheitsgebot is certainly one of the most conclusive suggestions.
But what does this tell us about Germany? Intangible heritage are the "French Cuisine", the Vienna "Kaffehäuser" ... and German beer, :-)

Author kintante
Registered
#19 | Posted: 11 Dec 2013 15:30 
I don't think the court house deserves world heritage status, simply because it's missing the authenticity of the time of the Nürnberger Prozesse. The court house is still in use as such which would be ok. But after the court house was given back to the city, they reinstalled the famous room 600 to its former status. Usually I'd agree with that, but in this case all the magic got lost. Room 600 is now a rather boring court room. You can only imagine the modifications made for the trials. The worst of all is, that the space for the media in the upper floor disappeared, which makes the room so much smaller and quite ordinary. Further, the room 600 is the only actual room you can visit, if you're not struggling with German law (I don't count the exhibition on the roof floor, as these are modern rooms). Not that believe the rest of the building would reveal some OUV.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#20 | Posted: 12 Dec 2013 05:11 
kintante:
I don't think the court house deserves world heritage status, simply because it's missing the authenticity of the time of the Nürnberger Prozesse

Yeah I think that is very true as well. I suppose I was thinking of it being along the lines of the Luther sites in terms of them being included for what they represent rather than what remains. So I think it fails on both counts.
Still it is a very interesting site to visit if you happen to be in Franconia.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#21 | Posted: 2 Jan 2014 23:40 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Is it not amazing that the entire German Tentative list is active?

Corvey Abbey and Castle 2014
The Wadden Sea (extension) 2014

The Naumburg Cathedral 2015
Speicherstadt and Chilehaus with Kontorhaus District 2015
VIKING MONUMENTS AND SITES / Danevirke and Hedeby 2015

Francke Foundation Buildings 2016
Mining Cultural Landscape Erzgebirge/Krušnohoøí 2016
L'oeuvre architecturale et urbaine de Le Corbusier / deux maisons du Weissenhof-Siedlung & Stuttgart 2016

Heidelberg, town and castle 2005 Referred/2007 Deferred
Schwetzingen, castle and castle gardens Deferred 2012

Naturally, some of the sites may be limited by the confines of the UNESCO guidelines. Nevertheless, Germany is remarkably efficient in their world heritage program. And with a new tentative list in the works, we can expect many German nominations to emerge in the future.

Author alexlove74
Registered
#22 | Posted: 8 Jan 2014 06:22 
Just back from a 25 days - 10,000 Km self-driven European vacation, which included, (amongst many other sites in Portugal, Spain, France) 3 German sites I hadn't previously seen (Bamberg, Hercules, Wartburg). I didn't have much expectations about Bamberg, after reading Els' review, but it ended up as one of the highlights of the whole trip, I really enjoyed it, also due to pleasent weather and Christmas atmosphere. Hercules is a nice site but I was there on a "no-water-show" day, and with all the scaffolding around, I'm not sure if deserves the WHS. I was surprised not to find any Unesco logo at the Hercules yet (but I've been visiting from the statue downward, not sure if the logo is at the entrance of the park from Kassel). Wartburg is a nice castle but I was disappointed by the "fee on top of the fee" to visit the tower and by the scaffolding on the "postcard valley view". I skipped Bayreuth after reading that its closed the interior, to avoid another disappointment like Lorsch 3 years ago (when all I could see was a huge scaffolding). Even if it's my third visit to Germany, I'm still impressed by the half-timbered houses and the medieval feeling of many places.

Author hubert
Registered
#23 | Posted: 17 Feb 2014 18:33 
Voting seems to be popular these days.
The website "German-Travel" has published the results of an online-voting of international visitors: "The TOP 100 sights and attractions in Germany".
http://www.germany.travel/en/towns-cities-culture/top-100/germany-travel-attractions. html

Interestingly, there are 22 WHS among the Top100. One WHS - Upper Middle Rhine Valley - is represented with three individual sites (thus actually 24 of 100), and additionally four sights in the delisted WHS Dresden.

It's a nice website anyway: photos, short videos and 360° panoramas of the German WHS, free apps for iPhone and Android, and a very nice downloadable 84-page-booklet of the German WHS in various languages:
http://www.germany.travel/en/ebrochures.html

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#24 | Posted: 18 Feb 2014 05:51 
hubert:
The TOP 100 sights and attractions in Germany

pfff not one Pile Dwelling site!
philistines! :)

Author hubert
Registered
#25 | Posted: 18 Feb 2014 06:31 
meltwaterfalls:
philistines! :)

Yes, and just because photos of Neuschwanstein look better! How superficial, :)
However, a pile dwelling enthusiast may regard them as part of the Lake Constance (no. 9 of Top100). I've not counted them.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#26 | Posted: 18 Feb 2014 08:30 
hubert:
there are 22 WHS among the Top100.

Having done that analysis can you easily list the 16 German WHS which are NOT among the top 100 visitor atttractions? I could work it out but the layout of the "Top 100" Website with 10 pages of 10 sites makes it a bit awkward so, if you have already done it by default, it would be easier to make use of your work!

Making some guesses from the list I might expect it to include (in addition to the Pile Dwellings!!)
Lorsch
Berlin modernism
Fagus
Stralsund and Wismar
Muskauer
Beech forests

Author hubert
Registered
#27 | Posted: 18 Feb 2014 08:50 
Solivagant:
Having done that analysis can you easily list the 16 German WHS which are NOT among the top 100 visitor atttractions?

I've counted Island of Rügen & Chalk Cliffs (no. 18) as Beech forest, the chalk cliffs are within the Jasmund National Park.

The 16 sites are:
Speyer Cathedral
Augustusburg and Falkenlust
Hildesheim
Lorsch
Garden Kingdom Dessau-Wörlitz
Maulbronn
Völklingen
Messel
Luther Memorials
Stralsund and WIsmar
Muskau
Limes
Berlin Housing Estates
Fagus Factory
Bayreuth Opera House
Pile Dwellings

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#28 | Posted: 18 Feb 2014 10:51 
hubert:
very nice downloadable 84-page-booklet

Just had a look at that, yes that is rather nice. Very useful if anyone is planning a German WHS binge.

Author clyde
Registered
#29 | Posted: 18 Feb 2014 10:54 
I have the paper version of that booklet. It was on offer when I visited the Messel Fossil Pit. I'll soon be using it on my next road trips in Northern Germany once the weather gets warmer and sunny.

Author Khuft
Registered
#30 | Posted: 18 Feb 2014 15:46 | Edited by: Khuft 
As Els just posted on the News section, the Pergamon altar room at the Pergamon museum will be closed in autumn for 5 (!!!) years. For those of you who haven't been there yet - go there now! The whole museum is a reliquary of bits and pieces of potential WHS.

Page  Page 2 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / Germany - World Heritage Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®