Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

US Approach to World Heritage

Page  Page 16 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  Next »  
Author winterkjm
Registered
#226 | Posted: 12 Oct 2016 21:56 
Durian:
Where is it in California? Big Sur?

It may not actually include much (if any) of the Big Sur coastline. At this point its difficult to say, except that we know this is primarily a marine site that includes Monterey Bay, Greater Farallones and Cordell Bank. Therefore, it could be quite limited to marine areas with little to no coast, or it could include all of the coastline from Big Sur to Point Ano Nuevo!

I have much the same questions as you, my Flickr album HERE captures almost the entirity of the coasline I mention above, but I wonder do I have to get out well into the Pacific to really experience this nomination?

Author pikkle
Registered
#227 | Posted: 12 Oct 2016 22:40 
winterkjm:
*If US fortunes at the WHC go well and nominations progress over the next 10 years, NYC could have 5 world heritage sites! (Statue of Liberty, FLW Buildings, Ellis island, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge)

And I think they all should be! NYC, if this was not the USA, would have "sections" imo perhaps like Liverpool's separate sections listed.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#228 | Posted: 13 Oct 2016 11:11 
winterkjm:
If US fortunes at the WHC go well and nominations progress over the next 10 years, NYC could have 5 world heritage sites! (Statue of Liberty, FLW Buildings, Ellis island, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge)

pikkle:
And I think they all should be! NYC, if this was not the USA, would have "sections" imo perhaps like Liverpool's separate sections listed.

Not sure a single "New York City" inscription makes much sense. I don't see the overlap of the proposed sites. And I don't even have to be that creative to find even more sites (some impossible due to US restrictions):

* Skyline of New York: Flat Iron, Seagram, Chrysler, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Center.
* Brooklyn Brownstones.
* Carnegie Hall
* Wall Street
* Subway (one of the oldest) / Highline
* UN Building

At least I have covered all proposed sites already :D

Author Durian
Registered
#229 | Posted: 13 Oct 2016 21:23 
winterkjm:
It may not actually include much (if any) of the Big Sur coastline. At this point its difficult to say, except that we know this is primarily a marine site that includes Monterey Bay, Greater Farallones and Cordell Bank. Therefore, it could be quite limited to marine areas with little to no coast, or it could include all of the coastline from Big Sur to Point Ano Nuevo!

Thanks Winterkjm,

I think US did a fine choice, I really see OUV from these potential sites. I really like Brooklyn Bridge proposal, seem to me that after UNESCO listed transporter bridge and cantilever bridge, it is a good time for suspension bridge to be WHS.

Author Colvin
Registered
#230 | Posted: 13 Oct 2016 22:25 
Durian:
it is a good time for suspension bridge to be WHS

The Brooklyn Bridge is amazing, but I'd also love to see the Golden Gate Bridge make the tentative list some day.

Author Colvin
Registered
#231 | Posted: 13 Oct 2016 22:34 
winterkjm:
NYC could have 5 world heritage sites

That could be quite significant. That said, Ellis Island seems like it would be a natural extension for the Statue of Liberty, rather than a separate WHS. Was there much discussion about that on the conference call? Also, what was the OUV given for Central Park that would distinguish it from other large city parks, such as Hyde Park in London or the Bois de Vincennes or Bois de Boulogne in Paris?

Author pikkle
Registered
#232 | Posted: 14 Oct 2016 00:16 
nfmungard
nfmungard:
Not sure a single "New York City" inscription makes much sense. I don't see the overlap of the proposed sites.

I should have tried to get that across in my post. The current (new) nominations and the Statue of Liberty do not have a coherent overlap in a distinct sense. I was thinking more themed "districts" in the way that Liverpool has the Ropewalks, the Museum District, Docks, the Town Hall area, etc. - but on a larger scale. The only drawback is NYC doesn't have an all encompassing subtitle like "Maritime Mercantile City" So that is a pipe dream and I think the approach taken is more than good enough. I was just fantasizing that someday the US will get an entire historic centre inscribed. :) It'll probably end up being like London - five (although Westminster is unique, with even St. Margaret's inscribed) WHS scattered over the entire city.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#233 | Posted: 10 Dec 2016 02:11 | Edited by: winterkjm 
15-Day Notice of Opportunity for Public Comment on Planned Additions to the U.S. World Heritage Tentative List and Proposed Future U.S. Nominations to the World Heritage List

Chicago Early Skyscrapers, Illinois
—Rookery
—Auditorium Building
—Monadnock Building
—Ludington Building
—Marquette Building
—Old Colony Building
—Schlesinger & Mayer (Carson, Pirie Scott) Department Store
—Second Leiter Building
—Fisher Building

Central California Current, California
—Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuary
—Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary
—Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary
—Farallon Islands National Wildlife Refuge
—Point Reyes National Seashore
—Golden Gate National Recreation Area

This clarifies what would be included, essentially the entire Central coast, including Big Sur!

"The central element of the California Current Conservation Complex is a contiguous group of
three federally-designated marine protected areas extending from the coastal towns of Point
Arena in Mendocino County south to Cambria, in San Luis Obispo County"

Author jonathanfr
Registered
#234 | Posted: 10 Dec 2016 03:56 

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#235 | Posted: 10 Dec 2016 08:52 
Thanks for flagging that up.

There was an episode of the 99 Percent Invisible podcast this week focused on Pacific Remote Islands National Monument if anyone wanted some more info. Even if the PRINM doesn't sound that interesting I would really recommend 99 percent invisible, it is a really interesting podcast, broadly focused on design, but consistently interesting.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#236 | Posted: 10 Dec 2016 14:03 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument & Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge (Arizona)

Looks like this will not be included now? Confused and a bit disappointed. As far as the California Current Complex, I am happy that so much is included.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#237 | Posted: 10 Dec 2016 23:26 
Golden Gate National Recreation Area

Includes: Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island, Angel Island, Fort Point, and the Presido.

Would all this really be included in a Natural nomination? I assume they would include portions of the GGNRA connected to the natural components of the property and leave out the rest.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#238 | Posted: 12 Dec 2016 13:37 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Charleston Nomination

This may come forward in the future.

Currently the US Tentative will consist of 20 Nominations

Cultural Sites

Civil Rights Movement Sites, Alabama
- Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church, Montgomery
- Bethel Baptist Church, Birmingham
- 16th Street Baptist Church, Birmingham

Dayton Aviation Sites, Ohio
- Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park

Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks, Ohio
- Fort Ancient State Memorial, Warren County
- Hopewell Culture National Historical Park, near Chillicothe
- Newark Earthworks State Historic Site, Newark and Heath

Jefferson (Thomas) Buildings, Virginia (Proposed Jointly as an Extension to the World Heritage Listing of Monticello and the University of Virginia Historic District)
- Poplar Forest, Bedford County
- Virginia State Capitol, Richmond

Mount Vernon, Virginia

Serpent Mound, Ohio

Wright (Frank Lloyd) Buildings [Nominated in 2015; Additional Information has Been Requested by the World Heritage Committee]
Taliesin West, Scottsdale, Arizona
Hollyhock House, Los Angeles, California
Marin County Civic Center, San Rafael, California
Frederick C. Robie House, Chicago, Illinois
Unity Temple, Oak Park, Illinois
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, New York
Price Tower, Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Fallingwater, Mill Run, Pennsylvania
Taliesin, Spring Green, Wisconsin
Herbert and Katherine Jacobs House, Madison, Wisconsin

Natural Sites

National Marine Sanctuary of American Samoa (Formerly Fagatele Bay National
Marine Sanctuary, American Samoa)

Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge, Georgia

Petrified Forest National Park, Arizona

White Sands National Monument, New Mexico

Proposed Additions to U.S. World Heritage Tentative List

Cultural Sites

Ellis Island, New Jersey and New York

Chicago Early Skyscrapers, Illinois, Including: [Other Properties May Be Added in the Course of Developing a Nomination]
—Rookery
—Auditorium Building
—Monadnock Building
—Ludington Building
—Marquette Building
—Old Colony Building
—Schlesinger & Mayer (Carson, Pirie Scott) Department Store
—Second Leiter Building
—Fisher Building

Central Park, New York

Brooklyn Bridge, New York

Moravian Bethlehem District, Pennsylvania

Natural Sites

Marianas Trench National Monument, U.S. Territory, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam

Central California Current, California, Including
—Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuary
—Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary
—Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary
—Farallon Islands National Wildlife Refuge
—Point Reyes National Seashore
—Golden Gate National Recreation Area

Big Bend National Park, Texas

Pacific Remote Islands National Monument, U.S. Territorial Waters

Author Solivagant
Registered
#239 | Posted: 9 Jan 2017 16:28 
winterkjm has done an excellent job of keeping us informed about the developing US Tentative List.
But I came across a document today which, despite perusing the posts since its production and carrying out a number of searches on Forum posts, I have been unable to find any reference to. It was published in March 2016
I apologise if I have missed it but it seems to be a document worth having a record of
"US World Heritage Gap Study Report" produced by US/ICOMOS
See - http://www.usicomos.org/usicomos-releases-world-heritage-gap-study-report/

Author winterkjm
Registered
#240 | Posted: 9 Jan 2017 20:33 
Thanks for posting this, one of the many interesting aspects of this report is that the invited experts (about 350 of them), only 50% of them visited 10 or more world heritage sites!

Page  Page 16 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / US Approach to World Heritage Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®