Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

US Approach to World Heritage

Page  Page 15 of 17:  « Previous  1  ...  14  15  16  17  Next »  
Author GaryArndt
Registered
#211 | Posted: 26 Aug 2016 18:23 
winterkjm:
Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument may very well quadruple in size this week if President Obama uses the Antiquities Act (like many suspect) to expand the monument.

Sadly, it will not become any easier to visit. The addition appears to be all water.

Author Colvin
Registered
#212 | Posted: 26 Aug 2016 23:48 
President Obama did expand the monument today, so it is now the largest protected area on Earth -- and, as Gary noted, extremely hard to access.

I'm still surprised that this is the only mixed World Heritage Site in the United States.

Author Colvin
Registered
#213 | Posted: 27 Aug 2016 00:01 
winterkjm:
Cahokia Mounds State Historic Park, already a WHS since 1982, is recently reported to be pursuing National Historic Park or National Monument status

Cahokia Mounds is a National Historic Landmark, but I think you're right that it might get more recognition if it were brought fully under the National Park Service rather than remaining a state park.

Author GaryArndt
Registered
#214 | Posted: 1 Sep 2016 12:35 
Well, here's one way to visit Papahānaumokuākea. Just become President of the United States:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/01/politics/president-obama-climate-pacific-island-midway- atoll/index.html

Author KSTraveler
Registered
#215 | Posted: 2 Sep 2016 11:22 

Author winterkjm
Registered
#216 | Posted: 30 Sep 2016 21:57 
We should know the newly recommended US Tentative Sites on (or soon after) October 11th.

http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=eec0682d4a3a709efefd29a94&id=1d34eca285&e=9c0ce3d 670

Author winterkjm
Registered
#217 | Posted: 1 Oct 2016 06:45 

Author winterkjm
Registered
#218 | Posted: 11 Oct 2016 21:45 | Edited by: winterkjm 
I was able to listen to and participate in a teleconference hosted by the NPS, US ICOMOS, and other organizations that are involved in the US world heritage program. A working group of experts, who evaluated over 100 sites submitted by the public, selected 10 Nominations. While not 100% final, these 10 sites will either all be included on the US Tentative list, or slightly narrowed down in the coming weeks and months. The US will submit the official nominations to UNESCO in January.

You can view the process/timetable here.
Revision of US Tentative List

Cultural Sites (5)
Ellis Island (New York, New Jersey)
Chicago School of Architecture - Early Skyscrapers (Illinois)
Central Park (New York)
Brooklyn Bridge (New York)
Moravian Bethlehem (Pennsylvania)

Natural Sites (5)
Mariana's Trench National Monument (Northern Mariana Islands, Guam)
California Current Complex (California)
Big Bend National Park (Texas)
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument & Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge (Arizona)
Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument (Hawaii)

There is of yet nothing published online, so everything is me recalling the teleconference. So I may have made a mistake on the last marine site above, I believe I heard the Pacific Remote Islands. Lastly, Stephen Morris of the National Park Service alongside other experts highlighted the potential revision of the Fagatele Bay National Marine Sanctuary (American Samoa) nomination to expand the original nominated property. It was also noted that a transnational nomination may eventually be produced related to Slavery, in which an inventory of sites are currently being considered. This may eventually be added on an interim basis, but there will be no NEW Tentative list for another 8-10 years. I am not sure at this point, if Ellis Island would be an extension of the Statue of Liberty WHS. Logically, I assume the Organ Pipe Cactus nomination will be a transnational extension of Mexico's El Pinacate WHS. From what I remember hearing ALL current nominations will be retained, but when the 2008 nominations were read aloud, I do not recall Mount Vernon or Serpent Mound being mentioned. Therefore, I would not be surprised if they were not included. There had been previous reports the Ohio Mound culture nominations were combined into a single serial property. By November, this information should be published and any potential narrowing down of candidates will become apparent.

3 Nominations are Former Tentative World Heritage Sites
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Chicago School
- Big Bend National Park

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument & Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge (Arizona)

While I did not get many sites I was pushing for, I did suggest and submit Organ Pipe Cactus NM consistently for 2 years as an extenstion, and it certainly was not part of the NPS archive of candidate sites before this. So, I do feel like the US experts did discuss and evaluate each site and consider public submissions, which is great!

Author pikkle
Registered
#219 | Posted: 11 Oct 2016 22:03 
These are definitely iconic American cultural landmarks. Its heavily tri-state area based and its missing a Newport or Charleston sadly. I am glad Bethlehem was included, but the rest should be no brainers.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#220 | Posted: 11 Oct 2016 22:08 | Edited by: winterkjm 
pikkle:
missing Newport or Charleston sadly

There were even representatives from the organizations pushing for Charleston and Newport included in the teleconference! I have to assume both nominations were not included only because of the US laws regarding private property and historic districts.

Author pikkle
Registered
#221 | Posted: 11 Oct 2016 22:47 
winterkjm:
There were even representatives from the organizations pushing for Charleston and Newport included in the teleconference! I have to assume they were not included only because of the US laws regarding private property and historic districts.

That must be it. It's really sad because it is a huge gap in the development of the USA versus Mexico (comparatively not competitively) and other colonial nations that have many many historic centres. More than just those two sites, there are dozens of East Coast colonial towns that could rank, but we need only include 2-3.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#222 | Posted: 12 Oct 2016 06:17 | Edited by: winterkjm 
US Revised Tentative List (10 nominations recommended for inclusion)

Brooklyn Bridge (NYC)
Brooklyn Bridge

Ellis Island (NYC)
Ellis Island

Central Park (NYC)
Central Park

Chicago School of Architecture
Chicago School of Architecture

Moravian Bethlehem (Pennsylvania)
Bethlehem

Big Bend National Park (Texas)
Big Bend

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument & Cabeza Prieta (Arizona)
Organ Pipe Cactus

California Current Complex (California)

Pacific Remote Islands National Monument (Hawaii)
Pacific Remote Islands

Marianas Trench National Monument (Guam, Northern Mariana Islands)
Mariana Trench

Themes
- Cultural: Immigration, Religious Freedom, 19th-20th Century Architecture
- Natural: Desert Landscape, Pacific Marine Sites

*If US fortunes at the WHC go well and nominations progress over the next 10 years, NYC could have 5 world heritage sites! (Statue of Liberty, FLW Buildings, Ellis island, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge)

Author KSTraveler
Registered
#223 | Posted: 12 Oct 2016 12:52 
Any word on the specific components of the Moravian Bethlehem and Chicago skyscraper sites?

Author winterkjm
Registered
#224 | Posted: 12 Oct 2016 14:33 | Edited by: winterkjm 
From the 20 minutes I heard, there actually was little specific details about each nomination. It was more about sharing the recommendations from the working group and a comment period. Moreover, the experts talked about the schedule for the nominations and future nominations. There seemed to be about 30 - 40 people on the teleconference, so most people just listened. Very few individuals could be categorized as listening public, maybe 5-10?

Author Durian
Registered
#225 | Posted: 12 Oct 2016 20:25 
winterkjm:
California Current Complex

Where is it in California? Big Sur?

Page  Page 15 of 17:  « Previous  1  ...  14  15  16  17  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / US Approach to World Heritage Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®