Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

US Approach to World Heritage

Page  Page 13 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  ...  19  20  Next »  
Author winterkjm
Registered
#181 | Posted: 9 Dec 2015 01:13 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Exploration of Potential Candidates for the US Tentative List Update (Fall 2016)
- I will begin by exploring potential candidates that are currently being discussed and narrowed down by theme, support, region, and representation by the National Park Service. There are officially over 100 candidates being considered, which were primarily submitted by the public (including myself). I am only previewing and giving a brief overview of potential candidates I have visited. When the finalized list is submitted to UNESCO in the Fall of 2016, it may very well be none or few of these sites are chosen.

Part I

Ancestral Sites of the Diné (Navajo Nation)
- Mixed Nomination, Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelly (additional sites could be considered)

Historic Center: Newport (Rhode Island)
- Early/Mid 18th Century British Colonial City (100ha)
- 6 National Historic Landmarks contribute to the Historic District

Coso Rock Art District (California)
- Largest known concentration of petroglyphs in the western hemisphere
- Location is enclosed within an active Naval Base

Carrizo Plain National Monument (California)
- Mixed Nomination, largest single native grassland remaining in California, important archeological sites of the Chumash (Painted Rock)
- Former candidate for inclusion on US Tentative List, dropped bid after local opposition and fear of land rights, sovereignty, and land use.

Bodie Historic Disctrict (California)
- Wild West Boomtown, gold mining
- Bodie is preserved in a state of arrested decay (problematic for UNESCO?)

Missions of the American Southwest (California, Arizona, New Mexico)
- Spanish Missions from the 17th - 19th centuries
- Some of the California Missions have expressed interest
- San Xavier del bac was a Former Tentative site

Part II (Future Post)
Sinagua Cultural Landscape (Arizona)
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument (Arizona)
Camino Real: Santa Fe (New Mexico)
Greene & Greene: Gamble House - Pasadena (California)
Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park (California)
Mojave and Colorado Deserts (California)
Miami Art Deco District (Florida)

Author jonathanfr
Registered
#182 | Posted: 9 Dec 2015 05:30 
"There are officially over 100 candidates being considered".
Can you list them ? Thanks

Author winterkjm
Registered
#183 | Posted: 9 Dec 2015 23:07 | Edited by: winterkjm 
*This summarized list is a product of ICOMOS Thematic recommendations, properties that applied in 2007 (properties of future consideration), and the numerous suggestions during the public consultations. The potential nominations very greatly, and while many have little or no chance to be included on the US Tentative list, it is interesting to see the direction the US World Heritage program is headed. I did not include several sites that were extremely national in focus, as well as sites that had no national designation. I received an email from the NPS in 2013 with a list of candidates, though long and awkwardly organized it revealed a wealth of candidates thats only grown since. Some my own suggestions!

Suggestions for the US Tentative List (Summary)

Properties for Future Consideration

 Gamble House (California)
 Olana State Historic Site (New York)
 Historic Moravian Bethlehem (Pennsylvania)
 Moundville Site (Alabama)
 Eastern State Penitentiary (Pennsylvania)
 Colonial Newport (Rhode Island)
 Shaker Sites
 French Creole sites of the Mid-Mississippi Valley
 Underground Railroad Sites

***Suggestions over the last 7 years

Natural

 Wind Cave National Park (South Dakota)
 Acadia National Park (Maine)
 Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks (California)
 Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument (Hawaii)
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument (Arizona)
Death Valley National Park (California)
Denali National Park (Alaska)
Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area (Michigan)

Native American & Hawaiian

 Navajo Sacred Protective Mountains (New Mexico)
Latte Stones of the Mariana Islands (Northern Mariana Islands & Guam)
Caguana Ceremonial Ball Courts Site (Puerto Rico)
 Sinagua Culture (Arizona)
 Knife River Indian Villages (North Dakota)
 'Iolani Palace (Hawaii)
Sinagua Culture (Arizona)
Ancestral Sites of the Diné (Navajo Nation)
Coso Rock Art District (California)
First Buffalo's Jump (Montana)

Colonial

 Castillo de San Marcos National Monument (Florida)
 Danish Colonial properties in the US Virgin Islands
 Colonial Williamsburg (Virginia)
 Colonial Annapolis (Maryland)
Camino Real de California (California)

Industrial

 Paterson Great Falls National Historical Park (New Jersey)
 Lowell National Historical Park (Michigan)
 Erie Canal (New York)
Ford River Rouge Complex & Highland Park Ford Plant (Michigan)
Allegheny Portage Railroad (Pennsylvania)

Historic Core

 Charleston (South Carolina)
 Savannah (Georgia)
 Alexandria (Virginia)
 Santa Fe (New Mexico)
Washington, DC
 Miami Art Deco District (Florida)
Bodie Historic District (California)
Riverside Historic District (Illinois)

Science/Innovation & Education

 Thomas Edison Properties (New Jersey)
 Bartram's Garden (Pennsylvania)
Missouri Botanical Garden (Missouri)
 Balboa Park (California)
Central Park (New York)
 Emerald Necklace Parks (Massachusetts)
Cape Canaveral (Florida)
Huntsville Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Alabama)
 Nationality Rooms in Cathedral of Learning, University of Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania)

Modern

 First-generation skyscrapers in Chicago (Illinois)
 Golden Gate Bridge (California)
Brooklyn Bridge (New York)
 Chrysler and Empire State Buildings (New York)
Gateway Arch, St. Louis (Missouri)
Villa Vizcaya (Florida)
Studios & Movie Palaces of Los Angeles (California)
Columbus Modern Buildings (Indiana)
Ellis Island (New York)
Manhattan Project Sites
 Key works of Mies van der Rohe
 Louis Kahn Buildings
 Louis Sullivan Buildings
 H. H. Richardson Buildings

Cultural Landscape

 Vineyard landscapes: Napa & Sonoma (California)
Golden Gate National Recreation Area (California)
Hudson River Cultural Landscape (New York)
The Klondike (Alaska)
Lewis & Clark Trail

Potential Themes Outlined

Sites associated with:
Space Exploration / NASA sites
Nuclear Energy / Manhattan Project
Interstate Highway System
Mass production of autos
U.S. migration patterns: westward expansion, Great Migration
Movie industry / entertainment industry and influence on world culture
Inventions: electric light, telephone, computer

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#184 | Posted: 10 Dec 2015 03:20 
Thanks for this winterkjm, seems like a lot of work but really interesting to look over.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#185 | Posted: 4 Jan 2016 14:34 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Updated information on the Revision of the US Tentative List, including timetable and no more than 10 additional nominations.

a. consult with World Heritage authorities in to Canada and Mexico to discuss "harmonization" of Tentative Lists, as directed by the World Heritage Committee
b. seek "upstream" input from ICOMOS and International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) World Heritage advisors

DOI (Assistant Secretary) makes selection of no more than 10 candidate sites and publishes Federal Register notice, with draft revised Tentative List for public comment.

http://www.nps.gov/subjects/internationalcooperation/revised_tentative_list.htm

Author winterkjm
Registered
#186 | Posted: 6 Feb 2016 19:47 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Colonial Newport and Providence: Religious Freedom and Toleration in the 17th-century English Empire

In-depth website that includes components of the nomination, documents on criteria, and comparative analysis. The nomination has certainly expanded since its original manifestation when considered for the 2008 US Tentative List.

http://www.newportworldheritage.org

Author pikkle
Registered
#187 | Posted: 7 Feb 2016 00:22 
winterkjm:
Colonial Newport and Providence: Religious Freedom and Toleration in the 17th-century English Empire

In-depth website that includes components of the nomination, documents on criteria, and comparative analysis. The nomination has certainly expanded since its original manifestation when considered for the 2008 US Tentative List.

http://www.newportworldheritage.org

Yes!!! Other than the Vieux Carré (French Quarter) in New Orleans, Newport is perhaps the most deserving "historic centre" in the United States. I had no idea Providence was going to be included, but I really quite like that. I'm a bit surprised by the focus on religious tolerance but it does make sense and demonstrate the unique qualities that Rhode Island embodies.

Newport also has impressive Gilded Age mansions that I am curious as to why they were not included as an example of urban continuity and the 19th century return to seaside aesthetics, but perhaps this would make the submission unfocused.

Needless to say, I am ecstatic about this. Next up, NOLA!!!!!

Author pikkle
Registered
#188 | Posted: 7 Feb 2016 00:23 | Edited by: pikkle 
I should reply to myself by saying that Miami Beach is also deserving of "historic centre" status but for its Art Deco. That really needs to go on this T-List revision.

When inscribed UNESCO sites compare themselves to you as having 1/3 of your art deco structures - you know you're missing out!

Author Assif
Registered
#189 | Posted: 7 Feb 2016 18:27 
Many of the sites are outstanding and represent gaps in the list. I would personally love to see the following sites inscribed:
Chicago skyscrapers, Death Valley, Sequoia NP, Caguana, Coso, Ford River Rouge, Miami, Cape Canaveral, Golden Gate, Hollywood, Carrizo Plain, Bodie, Knife River.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#190 | Posted: 8 Feb 2016 04:37 | Edited by: winterkjm 
The California Missions potential and support for UNESCO inscription will be part of a meeting in San Juan, CA this coming weekend.

Milford Wayne Donaldson, FAIA, El Camino Real de las Californias: Seeking an UNESCO World Heritage Site Nomination

http://benitolink.com/33rd-annual-california-missions-conference-coming-san-juan

Author pikkle
Registered
#191 | Posted: 8 Feb 2016 12:36 
winterkjm:
The California Missions potential and support for UNESCO inscription will be part of a meeting in San Juan, CA this coming weekend.

Milford Wayne Donaldson, FAIA, El Camino Real de las Californias: Seeking an UNESCO World Heritage Site Nomination

http://benitolink.com/33rd-annual-california-missions-conference-coming-san-juan

Wonderful news. It's too bad Obama doesn't have the executive powers to bypass the Congressional ban on any funding that might go to Palestine (or whatever the exact phrasing of the silly legislation is), as the US seems to be taking an active and different approach to WHS that it hasn't in some time.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#192 | Posted: 21 Feb 2016 15:36 
Besides some info on the FLW nomination, there is quite a few details about US nominations in the pipeline. Hopewell might be submitted in 2018 (inscription in 2019), the dossier is halfway complete. The Dayton Aviation Sites nomination will only move forward when the factory in which the first airplanes were built is purchased by the national park service. The NPS hopes this will occur in 2017.

JULY 2016 - FLW Nomination
FALL 2016 REVISED TENTATIVE LIST
2017 - No US Nomination
2018 - No US Nomination
2019 - Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks (very tentative) *Serpent Mount?
2020 - Dayton Aviation Sites (very tentative)

http://greatlakesecho.org/2016/02/21/frank-lloyd-wright-buildings-nominated-as-a-worl d-heritage-site/

Author winterkjm
Registered
#193 | Posted: 23 Feb 2016 03:07 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Kind of strange and cool at the same time. Several articles currently speaking about the FLW nomination have included my picture as the cover image. The image is fine enough, though nothing particularly exceptional. I assume my photo is one of the few (free) decent images of this somewhat obscure private FLW house.

Herbert and Katherine Jacobs House

http://www.archdaily.com/594585/ten-frank-lloyd-wright-buildings-nominated-for-unesco -world-heritage-list

http://greatlakesecho.org/2016/02/21/frank-lloyd-wright-buildings-nominated-as-a-worl d-heritage-site/

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#194 | Posted: 23 Feb 2016 07:50 
Good work, a little like remote digital proselytising.

Mrs Meltwaterfalls has a long term goal of a road trip visiting FLW sites from the east coast across to the west, so getting a grip on some of the less well known locations is handy.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#195 | Posted: 26 Feb 2016 05:33 
Exploration of Potential Candidates for the US Tentative List Update (Fall 2016)- I will begin by exploring potential candidates that are currently being discussed and narrowed down by theme, support, region, and representation by the National Park Service. There are officially over 100 candidates being considered, which were primarily submitted by the public (including myself). I am only previewing and giving a brief overview of potential candidates I have visited. When the finalized list is submitted to UNESCO in the Fall of 2016, it may very well be none or few of these sites are chosen.

Exploration of Potential Candidates for the US Tentative List Update Part II

Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park (California)
- Location of the Giant Forest, by mass the largest trees in the world.
- Preserve a landscape that still resembles the southern Sierra Nevada before Euro-American settlement.
- Former Tentative site.

- Extreme altitude range (86 below to 3,368 meters above sea level) results in large ecological diversity.
- Potential to become largest linked desert habitat anywhere in the world.
- Death Valley and Joshua Tree were former Tentative nominations.

Miami Art Deco District (Florida)
- Largest concentration of 1920s and 1930s resort architecture in the United States.
- City planning and layout developed rapidly, resulting in an extraordinary architectural consistency.

Page  Page 13 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  ...  19  20  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / US Approach to World Heritage Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®