Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

South Korea World Heritage

Page  Page 17 of 17:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  
Author clyde
Registered
#241 | Posted: 9 Apr 2017 09:57 
Is it easy to call a cab from Seoul to Ganghwa Dolmen? I'd like to avoid around 5 hours in buses when it seems that a 1hr ride with traffic would be enough.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#242 | Posted: 9 Apr 2017 12:00 
Plenty of Bus options from Seoul that take about 1hr 30min. From Ganghwa Bus Terminal, its a short bus (or taxi) ride to the largest dolmen. All said probably a bit less than 4 hours of travel time. Even with a taxi its still going to add up to a bit less than 3 hours. The question then becomes is paying potential 60,000 won or more (one-way) worth saving 1 to 1.5 hours of driving time?

120 USD + 3hrs OR 10 USD + 4hrs

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#243 | Posted: 10 Apr 2017 05:01 
I must admit getting there by bus wasn't really that lengthy a process, though I do remember the wait to change busses being not so ideal (around a 35min wait but that was just the time I visited, other trips may synch up better)

If you did want to save time, a better option may be to get the bus from Seoul out to Ganghwa. Then get a taxi from the local bus station out to the Dolmen, get it to wait and take you back to the bus station. It will be a much cheaper option, and the bus into Seoul took roughly the same amount of time as a taxi would as it mostly was on a Motorway if memory serves me correctly.

Author clyde
Registered
#244 | Posted: 10 Apr 2017 08:35 
Great. Thank you for the advice winterkjm and meltwaterfalls :)

Author Jarek Pokr
Registered
#245 | Posted: 11 Apr 2017 08:11 
Certainly the easiest way to visit Ganghwa Dolmen Site is by bus from Seoul. There are frequent direct buses (W4200; 90 min) from Seoul's Sinchon Bus Terminal to the main town of Ganghwa-eup (at Sinchon you will have to find the right bus stop). Once you get on the island from Ganghwa-eup Bus Station there are buses to Bugeun-ri Dolmen Site (not very frequent but as I remember there is one around 10.00 am). At the bus station there is also a small stand with island's map where all UNESCO dolmens are pointed out. Once you get to Bugeun-ri Dolmen Site (the biggest dolmen in Korea) try to obtain a leaflet map with hiking trails. There is another UNESCO dolmen site some 2 km from the place - Jeomgol Dolmen, and further on another one (in Chunguk, Samgeo_ri - but this one is not on UNESCO list)

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#246 | Posted: 11 Apr 2017 10:21 
Jarek Pokr:
There are frequent direct buses (W4200; 90 min) from Seoul's Sinchon Bus Terminal

Just as a note whilst this is the name of it, it isn't really a Bus Terminal as you may expect, rather just a bus stop on the side of the road.

If I remember correctly it was the one here in front of CasaVille/ Lotteria.

Author clyde
Registered
#247 | Posted: 12 Apr 2017 05:17 
Thanks JarekPokr and meltwaterfalls. Hopefully I'll make it by bus and then catch a taxi in Ganghwa should I miss the local bus to the Bugeun-ri Dolmen Site. I'll surely mention your helpful tips in my WHS review (that is, if I actually get there!) :)

Author Jarek Pokr
Registered
#248 | Posted: 12 Apr 2017 05:47 
Exactly, I had to ask several people on the street and different bus drivers before I found someone who knew exact bus stop ...

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#249 | Posted: 12 Apr 2017 06:14 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I think I mentioned it in my review but if getting a bus/taxi on Ganghwa to get to the dolmen just ask for: Goindol that seemed to be the name locals recognised (at least for this non Korean speaking individual anyway)

Author tonylag
Registered
#250 | Posted: 12 Apr 2017 17:40 
Better is to take a picture with you and some words in Korean,
for example this one:
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=586575
I had no problems getting there; even had time to visit a temple
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/ATR/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=264302
and in late afternoon i visited some tombs of the Joseon Dynasty

Korea has the best public transport i have seen, and the people are very helpfull.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#251 | Posted: 18 Apr 2017 23:27 | Edited by: winterkjm 
It's rare to know this amount of detail in any state parties nomination plans. How efficient for the world heritage traveller that Korea offers 12 WHS in a relatively small area, and time permitting you can ensure you visited all potential new WHS up until 2023! To be honest, probably longer since some of these nomination dossiers are bound to fail, but will undoubtedly make at least one additional attempt (example: Hangyangdoseong).

ROK Nomination Plan
2018 - Traditional Buddhist Mountain Temples of Korea (Cultural)
2019 - Seowon, Neo-Confucian Academies of the Joseon Dynasty (Cultural), Southwest Coast Tidal Flats (Natural)
2020 - Hanyangdoseong, the Seoul City Wall (Cultural)
2021 - Gaya Tumuli: Gimhae & Jisan-dong (Cultural)
2022 - Daegokcheon Stream Petroglyphs (Cultural)

For what its worth, I believe after Korea's 2 recent withdrawn nominations the Cultural Heritage Administration will be successful with 3 inscriptions over the next two years. I am not so optimistic however about Korea's nominations between 2020 - 2022!

Author clyde
Registered
#252 | Posted: 3 May 2017 07:31 | Edited by: clyde 
Thanks to the priceless information from this website and winterkjm's great pointers, I managed to visit all South Korean WHS and the first 3 tentative WHS according to the nomination plan + Suncheon's Tidal Flats over 18 days.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this country's WHS and although there aren't incredibly outstanding individual sites, I would rank all sites as good to very good sites which are worth visiting and all possess outstanding value, be it niche or universal value. I hope to find some time soon to write my reviews and sort all the photos.

Page  Page 17 of 17:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  15  16  17 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / South Korea World Heritage Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®