Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

South Korea World Heritage

Page  Page 14 of 15:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  15  Next »  
Author clyde
Registered
#196 | Posted: 19 Dec 2016 12:24 
Thanks for the info winterkjm. I'll certainly try to take in a couple of these sites while in Busan (even though they don't seem promising).

Author aender
Registered
#197 | Posted: 19 Dec 2016 12:36 | Edited by: aender 
Good ones i must say

Author winterkjm
Registered
#198 | Posted: 19 Dec 2016 12:51 | Edited by: winterkjm 
I visited both:
Provisional Capital Memorial Hall
Provisional Government Building, Busan

The later is now the Donga University Museum, the museum itself is actually superb. The Memorial Hall is also quite interesting as the home of President Rhee during the Korean War, its only been open since 2012.

The UN Memorial Cemetery is well-known and a place that was on my itinerary during my last visit, but a tremendous storm made a visit impossible. The Busan Modern History Museum is a small, seemingly charming museum, I visited the site, but it closed the moment I arrived! There is not much value in just seeing the old, but largely plain exterior.

The oldest components of this aspiring nomination, all from the Daehan Empire, are potentially interesting. The lighthouse stands out as one of the oldest and best-preserved in the country.
1909 Gadeokdo Lighthouse

Author clyde
Registered
#199 | Posted: 19 Dec 2016 13:55 
I love lighthouses so I'll most probably visit the old lighthouse, the Anglican church and one of the museums

Author Durian
Registered
#200 | Posted: 19 Dec 2016 20:23 
winterkjm:
UN Memorial Cemetery

Just curious, is this cemetery has special extraterritorial privilege? Can S. Korea nominate this site without UN consent? If required, it would be very interesting :)

Author elsslots
Admin
#201 | Posted: 22 Dec 2016 11:48 | Edited by: elsslots 
As requested by winterkjm, here's my final (?) itinerary for my upcoming trip to South Korea and Palau:

Dec 27: Flight Amsterdam - Seoul
Dec 28: arrival in Seoul late afternoon
Dec 29: Seoul City Wall TWHS (shortest stretch) & National Museum; in the evening flight to Palau
Dec 30: Early arrival in Palau, plan to rent a car to visit the 3 TWHS on Babeldaob Island + museums and a few other minor sights
Dec 31: Day tour to Southern Rock Islands WHS
Jan 1: Trying to reach the Stone Quarry TWHS (see discussion in Palau forum topic)
Jan 2: Return to Seoul during the night, planning a relaxing day in Seoul + catching up on e-mails/website work etc
Jan 3: Combined full day tour to Panmumjom/DMZ (have not seen it on my previous Korea trip)
Jan 4: Namhansanseong WHS
Jan 5: Baekje WHS in Gongju, not sure if I will add Magoksa temple TWHS (depends on weather & time left)
Jan 6: Joseon Tombs WHS in Donggureung
Jan 7: Seodaemun Prison; Jeong-dong: Old Legation Quarter in Seoul
Jan 8: Return flight back to the Netherlands

Author winterkjm
Registered
#202 | Posted: 22 Dec 2016 12:17 | Edited by: winterkjm 
If you cannot make it to Magoksa, because it will take about 2 hrs total based of travel + visit time. Gongju Jungdong Cathedral is a short distance from the bus terminal. This could be one of several cathedrals included in a Catholic TWHS (if approved by CHA); it has been identified as one component of the aspiring nomination.

Jeong-dong Quarter
- Jungmyeongjeon Hall (definitely a highlight and open to the public only since 2010.)

Author elsslots
Admin
#203 | Posted: 22 Dec 2016 12:25 
winterkjm:
If you cannot make it to Magoksa, because it will take about 2 hrs total based of travel + visit time. Gongju Jungdong Cathedral is a short distance from the bus terminal.

Thanks! I'll put it in the spreadsheet of options for the day

Author winterkjm
Registered
#204 | Posted: 22 Dec 2016 20:13 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Symposium
"On November 1st, 2014, A symposium was held to review the historical value of Seodaemun Prison and to see if it is possible to register as a UNESCO World Heritage Site."

This is the last major news I've heard regarding Seodaemun Prison. For advocates of this aspiring nomination, they envision a successful world heritage bid which models its bid on Auschwitz and Robben Island. There is no other surviving location in Korea that held so many pro-independent dissidents and leaders during the Japanese Colonial Period. Yet, the history is complex, after liberation (1945) the authoritarian governments that followed in South Korea also used the prison to jail dissidents until the 1980's!

Japan, as we've seen this year (delayed payment of dues), is being pressed on its colonial history, primarily by Korea and China. Lately, Japan has begun pushing back in regards to both world heritage nominations (Meiji sites) and the Memory of the World register (Nanjing + Comfort Women).
Durian:
if Japan can finally push Meiji sites to be a WHS, is it going to speed up Seodaemun Prison nomination to counter Japan?

Therefore, for Korea to eventually pursue a Seodaemun Prison nomination, Japan will surely see political scheming and have strong inhibitions to any testament to perceived Japanese crimes against humanity. Regarding China, there have been some explorations of a joint nomination with Seodaemun Prison and related sites in China, but how far this has progressed is unclear.
Solivagant:
Might China quite like to give S Korea a little "assist" on this one?

Current Plans WHS or Not: "We plan to launch a project to restore the prison into its original state by 2022. The city's restoration plan is part of its project to create a "hill of independence" in the region surrounding the park by setting up memorial facilities and exhibition halls to honor the spirit of patriotic ancestors and to help educate people about history."

Since Korea plans some form of tentative list update in 2017, I suppose we'll know if Seodaemun Prison is still being pursued or not. Currently, it seems the Cultural Administration of Korea (CHA) is pursuing less controversial nominations like: Ruins of the Hanseong-Baekje [Extension] , Jeju Island [Extension], Bukhansanseong [Extension], Royal Academies: Sungkyunkwan, Busan Provisional Capital Heritage (14 components), Catholic Heritage and Martyr Sites.

Author clyde
Registered
#205 | Posted: 23 Dec 2016 05:11 
I'll be looking forward to your S. Korea reviews Els, as I'm still trying to fit all the WHS, TWHS, activities and festivals I'd like to visit/experience in Seoul (I'll spend 9 nights there and most probably I'll skip the DMZ and other TWHS). Google maps are quite hopeless for S. Korea in general and planning transport options is proving more difficult than expected.
I'll be more than happy if I manage to cover all 12 WHS and a couple of interesting TWHS in 1 trip. However, I'm pretty sure I'll be revisiting in the future and being quite a small country compared to the rest in Asia, it won't be too much of a hassle to visit any newly inscribed sites here.
I think Seoul must be one of the best capital city WH hotspots on the list. Not only does it have several WHS and TWHS but most of them are also serial nominations.
By the way, I think that Baekje should be added to the Seoul Hotspot Connection as it is just a day trip away by bus or train.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#206 | Posted: 23 Dec 2016 06:12 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
Jan 3: Combined full day tour to Panmumjom/DMZ (have not seen it on my previous Korea trip)

You might be interested in this little tale of our visit to the DMZ/Panmunjeom from the NORTHERN SIDE from some years ago!!
It really was remarkably relaxed throughout. After the "propaganda" talks and the visit to the actual negotiation room ( I think the North and South take turns on alternate days/afternoon/mornings (??) to have access to this) we retired to the "viewing platform" which overlooks the entire site as well as a similar platform on the Southern side. There we could see a large number of tourists so we waved , shouted - even "Mexican waved" to them! But all to no avail - absolutely NO response!! It turns out that all visitors to the Southern side are told that in absolutely NO circumstances should they wave at or in any way acknowledge or react to ANY activities from the Northern side. I wondered if the tourists on the Southern aide thought that we were all "Potemkin tourists" planted by DPRK to provide a picture of happy relaxed tourists really enjoying their visit! Possibly the US doesn't want ANY possible reason for DPRK to claim that unrespectful or otherwise Anti-DPRK gestures or comments are being projected from its side but the difference between the "buttoned up" atmosphere being projected towards the North and the highly relaxed one being projected towards the South was literally "surreal". At no time were we restrained by the DPRK guides.

Author elsslots
Admin
#207 | Posted: 23 Dec 2016 10:58 
Solivagant:
visit to the DMZ/Panmunjeom from the NORTHERN SIDE from some years ago!!

I'll pay close attention to the instructions given on "the other side".

I've already received the following:
The dress code for Panmunjom is as follows:
No Shorts - for the skirt/ dresses they need to be about knee length./
No sandals, flip-flop or slippers /
No t-shirts; must be collared shirts/
Civilian clothes preferred /
Jeans accepted with no holes /
No Tank tops/
No exercise clothes
No Stretch pants/tights

Cameras up to, but not exceeding 90mm are allowed.

And the tour includes "a brief Q&A time with a NKorean defector"

Author winterkjm
Registered
#208 | Posted: 23 Dec 2016 11:22 
clyde:
Google maps are quite hopeless for S. Korea in general

The Korean government has placed heavy restrictions on Google Maps.

"Map data could compromise the country's security against North Korea by exposing information about its military and other facilities." - Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport

Author winterkjm
Registered
#209 | Posted: 23 Dec 2016 11:52 
Summary of Korea's World Heritage Program (ROK) DEC 2016

2017 - Hanyangdoseong, the Seoul City Wall (Cultural)
2018 - Traditional Buddhist Mountain Temples of Korea (Cultural)
2019 - Seowon, Neo-Confucian Academies of the Joseon Dynasty (Referred), Southwest Coast Tidal Flats (Natural)
2020 - Ruins of the Hanseong-Baekje [Extension], Gaya Tumuli: Gimhae & Jisan-dong (Cultural)

This article clarifies some planned dossier submissions
http://www.tournews21.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=24722

Under the new operation guidelines for 2019, will a Referred dossier fill the 1 nomination limit? What about an extension?

Author elsslots
Admin
#210 | Posted: 24 Dec 2016 00:59 
winterkjm:
will a Referred dossier fill the 1 nomination limit? What about an extension?

I'd say Yes, both. Although it's not very explicit: the guidelines say that the total limit of 35 includes referrals, deferrals and extensions. So I assume this also applies to the 1 nomination per State Party.

Page  Page 14 of 15:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  15  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / South Korea World Heritage Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®