Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

South Korea World Heritage

Page  Page 13 of 18:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  ...  18  Next »  
Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#181 | Posted: 12 Jul 2016 06:15 
I look forward to reading them tonylag,. Yep this forum thread is a really useful resource for a trip around the WHS in South Korea.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#182 | Posted: 12 Jul 2016 10:15 | Edited by: winterkjm 
I also greatly look forward to all your reviews!

Besides trying to complete Korea's tentative list, and visit about half of the rumored "potential" additions to the tentative list. I also revisited 3 WHS. Jongmyo Shrine, because of relatively poor pictures, and it had already been 8 years since my last visit. Three additional Joseon Royal Tomb sites, and one revisit to Seolleung. Lastly, I wanted to hike the full circumference of Namhansanseong, and at least walk some of the outer "ruined" fortification.

Royal Tombs of the Joseon Dynasty - Having now visited 13 of 18 tomb clusters, these 50 pictures really summarize what you will see if you visit several of these tombs. I am still not really bored by these tombs, they are just pleasant to walk through, and I didn't find the more recent restrictions bothersome. Perhaps on my next visit (in years to come) I'll complete this serial nomination, if I have leisure time.

Updated Review HERE

Jongmyo Shrine - My revisit of Jongmyo was mostly for pictures. My old photos were pretty uninspiring, and I found my 2nd visit to be rewarding as I appreciated the site more, particularly its serenity in the heart of Seoul.

Updated Review HERE

Namhansanseong - Nearly 5 hours of hiking allowed me to complete this fortress, both in regards to all gates, secret gates, and fortification features, but also a majority of the temples that are found within the walls. The temples are all essentially structures from the post-colonial period, but their locations and original importance to Namahsanseong were quite central to its defense.

Updated Review HERE

Author winterkjm
Registered
#183 | Posted: 17 Jul 2016 21:24 | Edited by: winterkjm 
With all 12 WHS covered, including the majority of tentative nominations, I decided early on I would visit some of the many rumored historic places vying for a place on South Korea's tentative list. I visited plenty that I don't feel are worth posting here, but there were some that I found very interesting and perhaps worthy of (at least) consideration.

Christian Heritage and Martyr Sites of Korea

After Japan sought their Christian nomination, I started thinking about Korea. While Christianity was introduced far later in Korea than Japan, after a period of oppression it has now become the dominant religion of the country (it has surpassed Buddhism). In fact, 3 of the top 5 universities in Korea began as Christian schools. Christianity has dramatically altered the trajectory of Modern Korea once the Bible was translated into Hangul in 1887. While the early history of Christianity began with foreign missionaries, very quickly important Korean priests (like Andrew Taegon) emerged and began evangelizing to the populace, promising fairness and equality to poverty stricken peasants who suffered under the Aristocratic Yangban. In a corrupt society, based on a strict class system, many Koreans eagerly and genuinely embraced Christianity's message. This obviously did not happen in Japan, nor any other country in North East Asia. There are dozens of historic churches/cathedrals in Korea that date between the 1880's to the 1920's which could be considered the early evangelization of the Korean people. Many of theses churches were built in Western style, but sometimes Korean elements like tiled roofing or hanok-styled architecture was included. Besides this fusion of Eastern and Western religious architecture, there is a layered history, in which most churches were built on the site where martyr's were murdered. Between the 1880's and 1910, the death throws of the Joseon Dynasty, Seoul was home to a large contingent of Priests, so much so that Western Priests petitioned King Gojong for a location to build a cemetery. This burial ground (next to a martyrdom site) became known as Yanghwajin Foreign Missionary Cemetery. There is a great deal of guesswork in which Christian sites would be included in a nomination, but the sites pictured here are significant and very well could be part of any future nomination.

Jeong-dong: Old Legation Quarter

This could be an interesting nomination, and probably one of the only intact urban historic districts in Korea. In the past, this neighborhood was also called the "European Quarter". I struggle with identifying what specific OUV could be argued, butI would not be surprised to see a nomination develop in the future.

Busan Provisional Capital and Refugee Trail

During the Spring this aspiring nomination was written about quite a bit, while I find the approach and components interesting, I have doubts about the viability of such a nomination. I could not make it to the UN Cemetery, but I did visit the other 3 primary sites that would be included if the nomination moves forward. Gamcheon Village, where a significant population of the half-million refugees settled was a fascinating place to explore. Donga University Museum, which is actually an excellent museum (one of the best in Busan) is the original building used as the headquarters of the Korean Government during the War. The Provisional Capital Memorial Hall, is the former home/office of Syngman Rhee.

Confucian Shrines of Seoul [Extension]

The articles that mentioned this aspiring nomination did not explicitly state a serial property, nor an extension. However, I find all 3 of these sites would struggle to demonstrate OUV alone, but together it has a coherent meaning linked to the traditions, rituals, and state ideology of Joseon. For those who found Jongmyo a little stale, these 3 sites might enrich any visitors understanding of Confucian Shrines in Korea.

Ruins of the Hanseong-Baekje [Extension]

I revisited the aspiring nomination Hanseong Baekje. This is fairly certain to be added to Korea's Tentative List in the next year or two. It will likely include 3 sites, which collectively will be an extension to the Baekje Historic Areas WHS. It is an easy site to tick off if your in Seoul. If you have limited time, I would recommend focusing on key locations on your itinerary, but if you have some downtime, Seoul Baekje museum, paired with 1 or 2 of these sites tell the story of Early Baekje.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#184 | Posted: 12 Sep 2016 11:35 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
It seems there has been an earthquake with Gyeongju being very close to the epicentre. Initially it doesn't look like too much damage has been caused.

Author Durian
Registered
#185 | Posted: 13 Sep 2016 08:30 | Edited by: Durian 
Earthquake - Minor damages to WHSs around Gyeongju

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pad/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=214087

Author winterkjm
Registered
#186 | Posted: 14 Sep 2016 01:36 | Edited by: winterkjm 
winterkjm:
Summary of Korea's World Heritage Program (ROK)

2016 - Seowon, Neo-Confucian Academies of the Joseon Dynasty
2017 - Seoul City Wall
2018 - Traditional Buddhist Mountain Temples of Korea
2019 - Gaya Tumuli: Gimhae & Jisan-dong
2020 - Naganeupseong, Town Fortress and Village

Traditional Buddhist Mountain Temples, which has been prioritized as Korea's 2018 nomination has been asked for supplemental information. Final approval will come in November.

This ARTICLE indicates the Gaya Tumuli nomination will be submitted February 2017! Does this mean Korea will submit 2 cultural nominations? One dossier would have to wait until the following WHC, no? Perhaps backup if they do end up delaying the more complex serial nomination.

Updated Nomination Plan (ROK)
2017 - Seoul City Wall (awaiting ICOMOS evaluation)
2018 - Traditional Buddhist Mountain Temples of Korea (official 2018 candidate, awaiting final approval after requests for a supplimental dossier)

2019 - 2020
- Gaya Tumuli: Gimhae & Jisan-dong (potentially planned submission Jan/Feb 2017)
- Seowon, Neo-Confucian Academies of the Joseon Dynasty ("We will revise the application with advice from experts and reapply after 2018.")
- Southwest Coast Tidal Flats This ARTICLE indicates 2019

Author winterkjm
Registered
#187 | Posted: 30 Sep 2016 07:42 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Baekje Historic Areas [Extension] planned for 2022

Article (in Korean)

There may be additional sites added not only in Seoul but also in the vacinity of Iksan, Gongju, and Buyeo.

2017 - 2022 (Active Nominations - 6)
Hanyangdoseong, the Seoul City Wall
Traditional Buddhist Mountain Temples of Korea
Gaya Tumuli: Gimhae & Jisan-dong
Seowon, Neo-Confucian Academies of the Joseon Dynasty
Southwest Coast Tidal Flats
Baekje Historic Areas [Extension]

This is very active series of nomination dossiers in the coming 6 years. It would be a tremendous achievement for all of them to reach the WHC, though I doubt every nomination will be successful, particularly on their first attempt. Daegokcheon Petroglyphs and Naganeupseong are certainly on the horizon as well. Since Korea will likely update their tentative list in 2017 with some additional nominations, it is reasonable to assume Korea will maintain their current rate of completed dossiers for quite some time.

Author clyde
Registered
#188 | Posted: 7 Oct 2016 16:37 
While mulling over next year's travel destinations, I started to read more about South Korea's WHS and tentative sites. Kyle Magnuson's reviews and photos as well as other reviews were a very good start but I'd like some pointers on how many days are needed to cover all 12 WHS and perhaps some of the top tentative sites to visit at a reasonable pace. Would 18 days be feasible?

Author winterkjm
Registered
#189 | Posted: 7 Oct 2016 19:53 | Edited by: winterkjm 
How many days are needed to cover all 12 WHS and perhaps some of the top tentative sites to visit at a reasonable pace. Would 18 days be feasible?

18 - 21 Days should be perfect. Here are some ideas.

Seoul 7 Days
1 Day: Changdeokgung Palace (Reserve Rear Garden Tour) & Jongmyo Shrine
1 Day: Joseon Royal Tombs - Donggureung Cluster, Seolleung Cluster, Hongyureung Cluster
1 Day: Namhansanseong & Olympic Park
1 Day: Seoul City Wall & Munmyo Shrine
1 Day: Hwaeseong Fortress & Yungneung Tomb Cluster
1 Day: Baekje Historic Areas (Day Trip - Gongju/Buyeo)
1 Day: Museum/Neighborhood Day
(National Museum of Korea, Deoksugung Palace & Jeong-dong Old Legation Quarter, Myeong-dong, Insa-dong)

Daegu 2 Days
1 Day: Haeina Temple & The Goryeong Jisandong Daegaya Tumuli
1 Day: Hahoe Village & 2 Seowon (Dodong, Dosan, or Byeongsan)

Gyeongju 3 Days
1 Day: Gyeongju Historic Areas & Gyeongju National Museum
1 Day: Namsan Mountain
1 Day: Seokguram/Bulguksa Temple, Yangdong Village and Oksan Seowon

Busan 2 Days
1 Day: On the road to Busan - Tongdosa Temple & Daegokcheon Stream Petroglyphs
1 Day: Gamcheon Village & UN Cemetary (night - Gwangali Beach)

Suncheon 2 Days
1 Day: Suncheon Bay & Naganeupseong Village
1 Day: Seonamsa Temple & Hwasun Dolmen

FERRY Wando OR Mokpo Ferry Terminal to Jeju-do
(one-way flight return to Seoul)

Jeju Island 3 Days
1 Day: Hallasan National Park
1 Day: Seongsan Ilchulbong, Udo Island and Lava Tube Caves
1 Day: Beaches, Waterfalls, Yeongmori Coast, Jeju Olle Trail

All 12 WHS and 6 Tentative sites (Less than 20 Days)

Author clyde
Registered
#190 | Posted: 8 Oct 2016 08:23 
That's simply perfect. I will try to add 2 more days to have a total of 20 and plan accordingly. The Suncheon Observatory seems promising in good weather. Most probably I'll visit in April-May as I'd like to explore 3 Stans in June and Down Under in December-January 2017-18. Been postponing these for a long time but in the meantime most countries increased their WH inscriptions and finished their restoration work so it's not too bad.

Author nfmungard
Registered
#191 | Posted: 12 Oct 2016 07:27 
My feedback on Korean Itineraries:

winterkjm:
Seoul 7 Days

A week or more in Seoul seems appropriate. I do see a few of the points can be grouped, especially seeing that the metro is very good. Which would free some time to:
* DMZ trip is a must.
* You can also tick off the dolmen sites with a day trip to Ganghwa. Imho easier than in the South.
* Seoraksan is a must for me (1 night).

winterkjm:
1 Day: Changdeokgung Palace (Reserve Rear Garden Tour) & Jongmyo Shrine

* You can also combine this with the Seoul City Wall (Dongdaemun Gate) or a visit to Bukchon Hanok Village.

winterkjm:
Haeinsa Temple

Consider doing a temple stay.

winterkjm:
Gyeongju 3 Days

I think this could be cut down to two days.

winterkjm:
Busan 2 Days

Getting back to the discussions about tentative sites... Seeing there isn't anything inscribed
yet you may wanna consider skipping on Busan. If you go, be sure to visit the 2nd largest fish market (after Tokyo).

winterkjm:
Suncheon 2 Days

As stated, you could do the dolmen site in Seoul and skip this. I found Gwangju really nice. Also has a nice mountain.

winterkjm:
1 Day: Baekje Historic Areas (Day Trip - Gongju/Buyeo)

I would rather do this near Jeonju.

winterkjm:
FERRY Wando OR Mokpo Ferry Terminal to Jeju-do

Be advised that there may be storms. I wasn't able to take the ferry to Jeju-do for that reason. Having a bit of buffer helps.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#192 | Posted: 12 Oct 2016 09:46 | Edited by: winterkjm 
nfmungard:
Seoul City Wall (Dongdaemun Gate)

Yes, technically if you visited one gate this would tick off Seoul City Wall. However, the experience would not be that rewarding or authentic to the entirity of this fortification.

nfmungard:
* You can also tick off the dolmen sites with a day trip to Ganghwa. Imho easier than in the South.

I think this is probably true, yet has anyone visited the Hwasun Dolmen site? I visited Gochang and Ganghwa, which seems like the most commonly visited components of this WHS.

nfmungard:
* Seoraksan is a must for me (1 night).

nfmungard:
2nd largest fish market

I would also second both of these, thats if you can possibly fit them all in!

nfmungard:
Suncheon 2 Days

You could certainly skip Suncheon (tentative nominations) However, all 3 tentative nominations are coming soon (between 2018 - 2020) most likely. Also Suncheon Bay is one of most beautiful places in Korea.

nfmungard:
I wasn't able to take the ferry to Jeju-do for that reason. Having a bit of buffer helps.

I did not think of this, definitely keep an eye on weather for storms, rain would be fine. I have not had bad experiences here, but Korea's weather can change rapidly!

Author Durian
Registered
#193 | Posted: 12 Oct 2016 20:44 
winterkjm:
1 Day: Seokguram/Bulguksa Temple, Yangdong Village and Oksan Seowon

From my experience, this day plan is a bit too much except you start in very early morning since all sites are located in different direction from Gyeongju, and you need at least 3-4 hours for Seokguram and Bulguksa including hiking trail.

Author clyde
Registered
#194 | Posted: 14 Oct 2016 18:28 
Thanks for your suggestions :) 2 more days it is then, flights are also cheaper so couldn't resist. I hope to visit all the WHS and some of the iconic tentative sites. I think I'll fly to Jeju island instead of taking the ferry.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#195 | Posted: 19 Dec 2016 11:31 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Provisional Capital Heritage, Busan (14 Serial components)

For any traveller heading to Busan, ticking off a couple sites listed here might be a worthwhile effort. The nomination, which will be examined by the Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea in February 2017 is very broad. The serial components span from the Daehan Empire 1897 - 1910, the Japanese Colonial Period 1910 - 1945, Military Government 1945 - 1948, and the Korean War 1950 - 1953.

1 - Provisional Government Building, Busan Registered Cultural Heritage 41
2 - Bokbyeongsan Mountain Reservoir, Busan Registered Cultural Heritage 327
3 - Main Building of Former Gyeongnam Commercial High School, Busan Registered Cultural Heritage 328
4 - Former Building of Namseon Electrics, Busan Registered Cultural Heritage 329
5 - United Nations Memorial Cemetery in Korea (UNMCK), Busan Registered Cultural Heritage 359
6 - Former Seongjigok Valley Reservoir, Busan Registered Cultural Heritage 376
7 - Busan Cathedral of the Anglican Church of Korea Registered Cultural Heritage 573

8 - Gadeokdo Lighthouse Busan City Monument 50
9 - Busan Metropolitan City Meteorological Agency Busan City Monument 51
10 - Provisional Capital Memorial Hall Busan City Monument 53
11 - Yeongdo Bridge Busan City Monument 56

12 - Busan Port No. 1 Pier
13 - Busan Modern History Museum
14 - Busan Citizens' Park

I am not 100% sure of the designation requirements, but the later 7 components (or perhaps 3?) are not designated at the national level. I imagine if this nomination moves forward, the Cultural Heritage Administration will be making some new designations.

Page  Page 13 of 18:  « Previous  1  ...  12  13  14  ...  18  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / South Korea World Heritage Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®