WHS in which members of the family Sirenia are found. "Sirenia (commonly referred to as Sea cows) is an order of fully aquatic, herbivorous mammals that inhabit swamps, rivers, estuaries, marine wetlands, and coastal marine waters. Four species are living in two families and genera, These are the dugong (1 species) and manatees (3 species)." (Wiki)
The connection belongs to Ecology connections.
- Aldabra Atoll: Dugong Link
- Alejandro de Humboldt National Park: In the marine sector there is a numerous colony of Caribbean manatee Trichechus manatus (UNEP-WCMC)
- Central Amazon Conservation Complex: Amazonian manatee "Numerous species of global conservation concern live within Jau NP, including .....Amazonian Manatee," and Anavilhanas "Here it is easy to see spectacular ildlife, including ...manatees" (AB)
- Desembarco del Granma National Park: Caribbean manatee
- Djoudj: African manatee
- Everglades: "The Florida manatee (Trichechus manatus latirostris), a subspecies of the West Indian manatee, is the largest of all living sirenians" Wiki. "Everglades is a haven for over 36 rare or endangered animals. The most notable include the..... the manatee (Trichechus manatus latirostris)" AB
- Great Barrier Reef: Dugong "The site includes major feeding grounds for the endangered dugong (Sirenia: Dugong dugon)" AB
- Komodo National Park: dugong
- Lagoons of New Caledonia: Dugong
- Los Katios National Park: West Indian manatee. "The manatee Trichechus manatus (V) has recently been found in the Ciénaga de Tumurado" AB
- Ningaloo Coast: "The endangered dugong (Dugong dugon) is found in the waters of the Ningaloo Coast. An unusually large community of about 1,000 dugongs feeds in the waters of the inshore lagoon, grazing the seagrass beds of Norwegian Bay and the lagoon north of Bruboodjoo Point." (Nom File) Shark Bay "Shark bay is renowned for its marine fauna, with 10,150 dugong Dugong dugon (V)" (AB) Komodo NP "Notable marine mammals include ...... Dugong dugon (V)." (AB)
- Rainforests of the Atsinanana: dugong at Masoala (UNEP-WCMC)
- Rock Islands: dugong
- Sanganeb: Dugong
- Shark Bay: Dugongs
- Sian Ka'an: West Indian manatee Link
- W-Arly-Pendjari Complex: West African manatee "others (species) have made a come-back (..... manatees)" AB.
- Wadi Al-Hitan: Fossils include skeletons of sea cows (UNEP-WCMC)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Siraneans?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source