East Sea / Sea of Japan
The Sea of Japan is a marginal sea of the western Pacific Ocean, between the Asian mainland, the Japanese archipelago and Sakhalin. A controversy exists about the sea name, with South Korea promoting the appellation East Sea. Each property is either located directly on or within sight of the coast.
The connection belongs to Geography connections.
- Central Sikhote-Alin: "The site stretches from the peaks of Sikhote-Alin to the Sea of Japan" - AB Document
- Iwami Ginzan Silver Mine: The site includes three ports: Tomogaura, Okidomari, and Yunotsu "To the south-west of Honshu Island, just inland from the Sea of Japan, is a cluster of silver-bearing mountains, rising to 600 metres and interspersed by deep river valleys." - AB Document
- Seokguram Grotto and Bulguksa Temple: "Sokkuram Grotto is located on the south-eastern slope of Mount Toham, facing the East sea." - AB Document
- Shirakami-Sanchi: "In the north of Honshu, on the border of Aomori and Akita Prefectures, 15km inland from the Sea of Japan." - AB Document
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to East Sea / Sea of Japan?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source