Corals are marine organisms, some of which secrete calcium carbonate to form a hard skeleton.
The connection belongs to Ecology connections.
- Aldabra Atoll
- Alejandro de Humboldt National Park: Coral reef
- Belize Barrier Reef
- Brazilian Atlantic Islands
- Cocos Island: "The rich coral reef, volcanic tunnels, caves, massifs and deeper waters surrounding Cocos Island are home to more than 30 species of coral" (wiki)
- Coiba National Park: The Coiba National Park has the second largest reef in the eastern Pacific and the largest aggregation of coral reefs of any in the marine biological corridor incorporating Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia and Ecuador (nom file)
- Desembarco del Granma National Park
- Discovery Coast: Coral reefs
- Dorset and East Devon Coast: Sunset star coral (found at Saw-tooth Ledges)
- East Rennell
- Great Barrier Reef
- Gulf of California: Coral reef at Cabo Pulmo National Marine Park
- Ha Long Bay: Coral reefs
- Henderson Island
- Komodo National Park: Coral reefs
- Lagoons of New Caledonia
- Lamu Old Town: Lamu's Houses built in coral stone
- Lord Howe Island
- Ningaloo Coast
- Ogasawara Islands
- Phoenix Islands: "one of the world's last intact oceanic coral archipelago ecosystems" (AB ev)
- Pitons Management Area
- Rainforests of the Atsinanana: coral reefs at Tambolo (UNEP-WCMC)
- Rock Islands: fossil islands within RISL made up of coral reefs uplifted due to volcanic forces and eroded over millions of years (AB ev)
- Sanganeb: Coral reef
- Sian Ka'an
- Socotra Archipelago: "Marine life is very diverse and includes 283 species of coral" (AB ev)
- Taputapuātea: Coral reef
- Tubbataha Reefs
- Ujung Kulon National Park: "The rich coral reefs of the Ujung Kulon coast are dominated by a small number of species that make up some 90% of the coral mass"
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park: coral reefs
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Coral?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source