Built in the 7th century BC
WHS whose OUV derives entirely or significantly from 7th century BC constructions.
The connection belongs to Timeline connections.
- Cyrene: founded in 630 BC as a settlement of the Greeks, one of its more significant features is the temple of Apollo which was originally constructed as early as 7th century BC (wiki)
- Delos: The island contains archaeological remains dating back to 3rd millennium BC. By the time of the Odyssey (c8C BC) it was already 'famed' as the birthplace of Apollo (in 425BC the Athenians decreed that, as such, no-one should be born or die there). Its decline began in 1st C BC and was completed by Rome's preference for Rhodes as a trading centre. Its remains cover a wide period of history - e.g Terrace of the Lions (c600 BC), Stoivadeion (c300 BC), Agora of the Competaliasts (2C BC). The 'chosen' century is based on the statement for Criterion III - "From the 7th century B.C. to the pillage by Athenodoros, the island of Delos was one of the principal Panhellenic sanctuaries"
- Gochang, Hwasun, and Ganghwa Dolmen: The Chungnim-ri group in Gochang is considered to date from around the 7th century BC. Dolmen construction ceased here in the 3rd century BC. The Hwasun dolmens are a little later, from the 6th-5th centuries BC. There are insufficient data to permit dating of the Ganghwa group, but they are thought to be earlier rather than later.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built in the 7th century BC?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source