WHS with the greatest inscribed surface area (Excluding Buffer Zones but including marine areas) - over 100,000 sq kms.
The connection belongs to Geography connections.
- Galapagos Islands: 133,000 sq kms
- Great Barrier Reef: 344,400 sq kms
- Papahanaumokuakea: "The vote also establishes the first mixed World Heritage Site in the nation, which covers an area of nearly 140,000 square miles" (362,600km2)
- Phoenix Islands: "The affirmative decision makes PIPA the largest and deepest World Heritage site in the world, covering an ocean territory more than 408,000 km2 (nearly 250,000 mi2, or roughly the size of California) and 6000 meters deep."
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Largest area?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source