A sundial is a device that measures time by the position of the Sun.
The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Bardejov Town: at the synagogue
- Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe: At the custodian's house (nom file)
- Blenheim Palace: Equatorial sundial
- Caral-Supe : A monolith has been found that might have been used as a sundial
- Changdeokgung Palace Complex: Angbuilgudae (Pedestal of Hemerspherical Sundial) "Total of 10 Angubuilgu still exist. They can be found in Changgyeonggung Palace, Changdeokgung Palace, Gyeongbokgung Palace, and Deoksugung Palace." - Korean Cultural Heritage 2 (2007) pg 169
- Cracow: Nodus-based sundial - "The shadow of the cross-shaped nodus moves along a hyperbola which shows the time of the year,indicated here by the zodiac figures" (wiki)
- Dacian Fortresses: Solar Disc at Sarmizegetusa Regia
- Florence: At the facade of the Santa Maria Novella church
- Forts and Castles Gold Coast: Horizontal sundial made by the Dutch in front of Elmina castle
- Gusuku of Ryukyu: At Shuri Castle. The sundial displayed high noon and the hours before and after that. A water clock was used by the Ryuykyans to tell the more precise time.
- Imperial Palace: Forbidden City, Beijing: equatorial sundial
- Incense Route of the Negev: Mamshit
- Jantar Mantar: The Giant Sundial, known as the Samrat Yantra (The Supreme Instrument) is the world's largest sundial, standing 27 meters tall
- Kairouan: Inside the mosque
- Maritime Greenwich: Because of its connections with ?time? Greenwich has several sundials. 2 modern ones within the inscribed area are Dolphin Sundial ? near the National Maritime Museum Tearooms. See Millennium Sundial at the Link provided. Situated near the boating lake in Greenwich Park. An interesting issue here is that, despite its recent installation, the sundial shows a GPS location of W 000? 00.093 . This represents a couple of metres and is due to an installation error ? though the exact meridian at Greenwich is also slightly ?out? when measured by GPS Link
- Medici Villas and Gardens: La Petraia
- Monticello: Globe dial
- Old Havana: At Cabana fortress
- Salzburg: at St. Peter Monastery
- Selimiye Mosque: see AB ev
- Singapore Botanic Gardens : Sundial Garden
- Sintra: Pena Palace Link
- Strasbourg: Several at the cathedral
- Strasbourg: At the masons loge at the cathedral museum, formerly at the cathedral.
- Sun Temple, Konarak: Vertical sundial
- Vienna: Hofburg
- Westminster: St Margaret's Church has 4 sundials. See description including how wall mounted sundials have to vary in type according to the direction of the wall they are placed on in this "Thames Sundial Trail" link (covers Sundials along the Thames Walk from Westminster to Greenwich)! Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Sundial?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source