A company town is a town or city in which much or all real estate, buildings (both residential and commercial), utilities, hospitals, small businesses such as grocery stores and gas stations, and other necessities or luxuries of life within its borders are owned by a single company.
The connection belongs to Human Activity connections.
- Crespi d'Adda
- Derwent Valley Mills Link
- Engelsberg Ironworks: Angelsberg, Sweden
- Fray Bentos: Barrio Anglo
- Humberstone and Santa Laura Saltpeter Works
- Mining Sites of Wallonia: workers city Grand Hornu, Bois du Luc
- New Lanark
- Røros: Røros was a ‘company town’ and the copper works were responsible for work, transport, and food supplies, schools, and a few social services. (AB ev extension)
- Sewell Mining Town
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Company town?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source