Palaeolithic and Mesolithic
Significant Palaeolithic and/or Mesolithic sites
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Aggtelek and Slovak Karst: Jasov Cave
- Altamira Cave
- Central Sikhote-Alin: In terms of archaeological monuments on the nominated property, there are monuments deriving from the late Palaeolithic times (the northern enclave of the known Ustinov culture) Link
- Chongoni Rock Art
- Cilento and Vallo di Diano: Capo Grosso
- Coa Valley and Siega Verde
- Decorated cave of Pont d'Arc: Upper Palaeolithic (ca. 30,000 to 32,000 BP)
- Gobustan Rock Art: Images span from the Paleolithic to the modern period. (AB ev)
- Golden Mountains of Altai: "The region has a rich cultural heritage. The first humans appeared in the region almost a million years ago as evidenced by Palaeolithic settlements located in the region of Gorno-Altaisk." (nomination doc)
- Lenggong Valley: In-situ Palaeolithic workshops (AB ev)
- Mount Carmel Caves: Palaeolithic
- Mount Taishan: "Mt Taishan is one of the birthplaces of the Chinese civilisation, evidence of human activity dating back 400,000 years to the Palaeolithic Period" (AB evaluation)
- Orkhon Valley
- Peking Man Site: The Upper Cave at Zhoukoudian ("Peking Man") contains Paleolithic remains
- Provins: Palaeolithic remains
- Qadisha Valley: "Many of the caves in the Qadisha occupied by the Christian anchorites had been used in earlier as shelters and for burials, back as far as the Palaeolithic period." (AB evaluation)
- Rock Drawings in Valcamonica
- Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka
- Sangiran Early Man Site: palaeolithic stone and bone tools such as flakes, choppers and cleavers
- Southern Öland
- Tadrart Acacus: The site also includes the Murzuch desert, which bears traces of the different phases of the Palaeolithic.
- Tassili n'Ajjer: there are palaeolithic sites at Erg (formerly lake) Tihodaine (UNEP-WCMC)
- Tropical Rainforest Sumatra: Tiangko Panjang Cave - Records of life have been discovered in Tiangko Panjang cave within KSNP area., dating up to 10,000 years ago (AB ev)
- Vézère Valley
- Wadi Rum: The numerous archaeological sites from the Palaeolithic era, of which the most important is al-Kaaka in Wadi Umm Sahm (AB ev)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Palaeolithic and Mesolithic?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source