The Golden Horde was a Mongol khanate (1241-1502) that invaded Russia and neighbouring regions.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Bolgar: became a centre of a separate province (or duchy) within the Golden Horde. During the period of Mongol domination Bolgar acquired immense wealth, many imposing buildings, and grew tenfold in size (wiki)
- Cracow: Conquered in 1241
- Derbent: "defined the territory ..as extending ? in breadth from Bulghar to the Iron Gate [Temür-Qahalqa or Derbent]."
- Kazan Kremlin: "Built on an ancient site, the Kazan Kremlin dates from the Muslim period of the Golden Horde and the Kazan Khanate."
- Kunya-Urgench: "In 1321, the town was annexed to the Golden Horde"
- Novgorod: "It was through talks with the Golden Horde that Alexander Nevsky prevented a Mongol raid on Novgorod."
- Tauric Chersonese: from the mid-13th century onwards the city fell victim to nomadic raids and was seized by the Golden Horde (AB ev)
- Walled City of Baku: "The city also traded with the Golden Horde,"
- White Monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal: "In 1262 a rebellion erupted in Suzdal, killing Mongol darughachis and tax-collectors. Only after Alexander Nevsky begged Berke not to punish the Russian people and the Vladimir-Suzdal cities agreed to send large sum of payments, the Golden Horde aborted its punitive expedition."
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Golden Horde?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source