'Threatened' by Dams
WHS where there are/have been plans to build a Dam regarded by UNESCO/IUCM/ICOMOS as potentially damaging to the OUV of the site (irrespective of whether the site of the Dam is inside the Inscribed/Buffer zones or not). Dams completed or cancelled before inscription e.g Nubian Monuments and Coa Valley are excluded.
The connection belongs to Damaged connections.
- Alto Douro: Foz Tua Hydro-Electric Dam project Link
- Ashur: Makhool Dam (now cancelled) Link
- Dja Faunal Reserve: Mekin Dam Link
- Dong Phayayen Link
- Durmitor National Park Link
- Kaziranga National Park: cumulative impact of dams on the Brahmaputra river basin, including the Lower Subansiri Dam and the Lower Siang Dam Link
- Lake Baikal: three existing, one constructed and two proposed large dams in the Lake Baikal-Angara River threaten the Site's hydrological regime Link
- Lake Turkana: (Gibe III Dam under construction on the Omo River in Ethiopia, which flows into the Site) Link
- Los Glaciares Link
- Lower Valley of the Omo: Gibe III Dam under construction on the Omo River Link
- Manas Wildlife Sanctuary: Kurichhu Dam on Manas River and Mangdecchu Dam on Mangde Chhu River, a tributary of the Manas, in Bhutan will affect the Site Link
- Mount Qingcheng and Dujiangyan Link
- Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers: three proposed dams on the Rishi Ganga river catchment within the Site Link
- Niokolo-Koba National Park: Sambangalou Dam Link
- Pasargadae: By the Sivand Dam Link
- Rio Platano Biosphere Reserve: three dams on the Patuca River, which flows into the Site Link
- Selous Game Reserve: proposed dam on the Rufiji River at Stiegler's Gorge within the Site Link
- St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg (Northern Forts of Kronstadt) by the Saint Petersburg Dam Project.
- Talamanca Range-La Amistad Reserves Link
- Tasmanian Wilderness Link
- The Sundarbans: sediment flow changes due to existing dams have stunted the growth of the Sundarbans Link
- Three parallel rivers of Yunnan Link
- Victoria Falls: proposed dam below the Falls at Batoka Gorge Link
- Wudang Mountains: Located on the edge of the Danjiangkou reservoir in the Wudang Mountains in Hubei province, the Yuzhen Palace would be submerged once the dam's height is increased Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to 'Threatened' by Dams?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source