Victorian Naturalist, Flower painter and traveller (1830-90). Started her "world travels" as a wealthy spinster at age 41 after the death of her father. Visited and studied plants in Canada, USA, Jamaica, Japan, Borneo, Java, Ceylon, India, Seychelles. Australia, New Zealand, S Africa, Brazil, Chile, Middle East and Europe. Had 4 plant species and 1 genus named after her. Communicated on matters botanical with Charles Darwin.
The connection belongs to Individual People connections.
- Champaner-Pavagadh Link
- Chola Temples: Link
- Elephanta Caves Link
- Fort and Shalamar Gardens Link
- Kew Gardens: Donated her collection to the Gardens and, during the 1880's, had a gallery erected there to house them (reopened 2009 after restoration). Link
- Qutb Minar Link
- Taj Mahal Link
- Vallée de Mai: Visited during a period of 3 months spent in the Seychelles during 1883. Numerous paintings of Coco de Mer and 1 "famous" one of the Waterfall within the park Link
- Yosemite National Park: Mariposa Grove and Bridal Veil. Painted around 1871. The Grove had been "discovered" in 1857 and the whole area "granted" to California as a "state park" in 1864 Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Marianne North?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source