'Threatened' by Tunnels
WHS where there are/have been plans to build a tunnel regarded by UNESCO/ICOMOS as potentially damaging to the OUV of the site (irrespective of whether the site of the Tunnel is inside the Inscribed/Buffer zones or not).
The connection belongs to Damaged connections.
- Kakadu National Park: Jabiluka Uranium mine tunnel Link
- Meidan Emam, Esfahan: "State of conservation report raised concerns about the Metro now well under construction parts due to open in 2012) whc.unesco.org/en/soc/252 The 2012 WHC decided as follows "... requests the State Party to invite a joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS reactive monitoring mission to the property to consider the impact of the current metro constructions on the property and its wider setting;"
- Old City of Jerusalem: The Western Wall Tunnel
- Prague: "The Blanka tunnel, which is to form part of a planned ring road around the city, runs only a few hundred metres from the protected area of Prague Castle." Link
- Stonehenge: ICOMOS-UK have ojected to numerous tunnel options for Stonehenge Link
- Works of Antoni Gaudí: Madrid-Barcelona high speed Train line Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to 'Threatened' by Tunnels?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source