Unusual Entry Requirements or Restrictions
WHS which, either permanently or on occasion, require intending visitors to pass "tests" before entry is granted (excluding restrictions on the grounds of race, gender of religion which are covered by their own "Connection").
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Ancient Kyoto: Visitors to Saiho-ji Temple have to undertake a period of Zen meditation and copy or chant Buddhist sutras before entry.
- Asante Traditional Buildings: "Women are not allowed inside the shrine during their menstrual period" - from a study paper on the Beasase Shrine Link
- Bahá’i Holy Places: In the Bahai Gardens visitors are allowed only to descend the terraces and not to ascend them, an act reserved to Bahai worshippers alone. The visitors are accompanied by guides who make sure the visitors follow this rule.
- Brú na Bóinne: New Grange tomb. Entry on the day of the winter solstice is limited to c 50 winners of a lottery (from some 30000+ applicants!).
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park: Visitors to the Gorillas have to state that they are not suffering from a cold or stomach upset. If they admit before they leave they get their entrance money back but, if discovered along the way, they have to return to base without recompense!
- Heard and McDonald Islands: "(a) all clothing, personal gear (such as bags, cameras, back packs) and emergency equipment (such as sleeping bags, ropes) to be taken ashore must be inspected for organisms (including reproductive material), which if found must be removed and destroyed. (b) footwear to be taken ashore must be thoroughly scrubbed to remove all organisms (including reproductive material) which if found must be destroyed, and must be treated with a biocide" (Management Plan - some operators carry "sterile clothing" which has to be worn)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Unusual Entry Requirements or Restrictions?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source