Ashoka was an Indian emperor of the Maurya Dynasty who ruled almost all of the Indian subcontinent from 273 BC to 232 BC.
The connection belongs to Individual People connections.
- Lumbini: Visited by Asoka in 249BC. Ordered construction of stupas and an inscribed stone pillar as commemoration.
- Mahabodhi Temple Complex: Visited by Asoka around 260BC. He built first Temple with a balustrade around the Bodhi Tree. Today can be seen "part of the polished sandstone Vajrasana (the Diamond Throne), originally installed by Emperor Asoka to mark the spot where Buddha sat and meditated." (AB Review)
- Nalanda: consecrated the bodily remains of Sariputta in Nalanda's main stupa (AB ev)
- Sanchi: Gt Stupa. "Asoka, whose queen was from the neighboring town of Vidisha, founded, or at least embellished, a Buddhist sanctuary located at Sanchi. He also had a stone column more than 12 m high erected with his edicts carved on it" (AB review)
- Taxila: Dharmarajika Stupa - "thought to have been established by Emperor Asoka in the 3rd century BC around relics of the Buddha" (Wiki)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Emperor Ashoka?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source