Sites or significant parts thereof that were discovered from 1970.
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Archaeological Site of Aigai: The Macedonian Tombs were discovered in 1977
- Baekje Historic Areas: Tomb of King Muyeong (1971) “The tomb was accidentally discovered during water drainage work on the No.5 and 6 tombs in 1971. It had been untouched by grave robbers and thieves for over a millennium, and when it was excavated it was the first time the tomb had been opened since the bodies of the king and queen were interred there fifteen hundred years earlier.” - wiki
- Coa Valley and Siega Verde: Late 1980s (only known to scientists from early 1990s)
- Decorated cave of Pont d'Arc: rediscovery on December 18, 1994
- Gochang, Hwasun, and Ganghwa Dolmen: "The Hwasun group was not discovered until 1996." - AB Document
- Jeju: Yongcheondonggul is one of five lava tubes included in the nomination. "Discovered on May 11, 2005, Yongcheondonggul Lava Tube, was registered, No. 466. in 2006, as a Natural Monument." - Nomination File
- Joya de Ceren: The site was discovered during the construction of government grain-storage silos in 1976, when a clay-built structure was exposed by a bulldozer. Excavation were carried out under the direction of Dr Payson D. Sheets (University of Colorado) in 1978 and 1980, but were interrupted by civil war. They were resumed in 1988 and have been continuing since that time." - AB Document
- Land of Frankincense: Archaeological site of Shisr (ca. 1992, using satellite photos)
- Lopé-Okanda: Excavations started at 1987.
- Lower Valley of the Awash: "The first geological explorations of the Hadar area had been done by Maurice Taieb. He apparently found Hadar in December 1970, by following one of the tributaries of the Ledi River, which originates in the highlands north of Bati to empty into the Awash River. Taeib recovered a number of fossils in the area, and led a party back to Hadar May 1972. In October 1973 the International Afar Research Expedition with 16 people arrived at Hadar and stayed there for two months, during which time the first hominid fossil was found" (Wiki). "Lucy" was discovered on 24 Nov 1974
- Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor: Discovered by some peasants working in a field in 1974
- Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve: "When Dr. Fred A. Urquhart began his studies of monarchs in 1935, one of the biggest puzzles was, where do all butterflies go? It took forty years of painstaking research to find the answer". "In 1975 when the stunning discovery of the first winter roost gave the answers" (Nom File) The first discovery by scientists tok place on Jan 2 1975
- Rock Art in the Hail Region: The Shuwaymis sites, although always known to the local Bedouin, were officially rediscovered only in 2001 (AB ev)
- Rock Art of Alta: 1972
- Sarazm: "The town was discovered by a local farmer named Ashurali Tailonov in 1976 who found a copper dagger protruding from a nearby construction site" (wiki)
- Tequila: Guachimontes "The site was discovered in 1970 and the important research only began in 1996." (wiki)
- Thracian tomb of Sveshtari: In 1982, according to the Unesco documentation
- Valongo Wharf: In 2011, during the excavations carried out as part of the revitalization works in the Rio de Janeiro port area, the two wharfs - Valongo and Imperatriz - were discovered (wiki)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Recently discovered?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source