Protective engineering works against flooding
The connection belongs to Human Activity connections.
- Beemster Polder
- Curonian Spit
- Hahoe and Yangdong: "In Yangdong Village, the houses at the foot of the mountain are not seriously exposed to flood disaster, but the farm lands at the center of the village were likely to be inundated if Allakcheon Stream flooded. Consequently in 1994, the 300m-long and 5m-high dike between Allakcheon Stream and the village was constructed and its drainage system was built to protect the village from any kind of flood disaster." - Nomination File
- Ir. D.F. Woudagemaal
- Koguryo Kingdom: "In August 1995, heavy rains caused flooding of the Chenjiagou River, Tomb No. 2102 in the Yushan Tomb Area was threatened. When the anti-flooding team arrived at the place, they built a dam to block floodwater from threatening the tomb and cultural relics were therfore effectively protected. Now dams have been built at the prone sections and protective measures have been taken." - Nomination File
- Mount Qingcheng and Dujiangyan
- Petra: Siq Dam Link
- St. Petersburg: A 25km long dam ("Flood Prevention Facility complex") has been under construction since 1980 (but was delayed for 15 years after the fall of the USSR and restarted in 2003). The Dam passes through the inscribed sites of Northern Forts of Kronstadt - and has indeed led to the destruction of parts of them.
- Venice and its Lagoon: Venice has flooded regularly in storm surges. Plans to protect the city include the "MOSE" project (Inflatable pontoons across the lagoon entrances)
- Westminster: On 7th Jan 1928 Westminster Hall and the House of Commons were flooded in a storm surge. The Embankment was subsequently raised and ultimately the Thames Barrier was built. Consideration is now being given to building increased defences to cover the period after 2030.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Protective engineering works against flooding?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source