The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Amphitheater of El Jem: the amphitheatre was never completed due to political rivalries and lack of funding.
- Ancient Kyoto: Ginkakuji silver pavilion is still not covered with silver as its original plan
- Angkor: Large portion of Angkor Wat and many small temples remain unfinished
- Australian Convict Sites: Old Great North Road - Finch's Line was abandoned prior to completion in 1829 due to it being too steep and the alternative route up Devines Hill was selected. Link
- Belfries: Belfry of Leuven
- Blenheim Palace: Great Bridge
- Early Christian Necropolis of Pécs: The Cella Septichora (no roof tiles have been found)
- Edinburgh: National Monument on Carlton Hill
- Elephanta Caves: one of the caves at the Stupa Hill
- Florence: Saint Lawrence's Basilica unfinished facade
- Gwynedd Castles: Beaumaris Castle: Work started in 1295 and continued for 35 years, with over 3,500 workmen employed at the peak of construction. Finances and material ran out when King Edward turned his attentions towards Scotland, and the castle was not completed (wiki)
- Itchan Kala: Kalta-minor: "short minaret": In 1855 the Khiva ruler Muhammad Amin Khan was killed and the construction of the magnificent minaret was stopped, leaving it at a height of 29m (where 70 or 100m was aimed)
- Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi
- Monastery of Batalha: Capelas Imperfeitas is half finished
- Oaxaca and Monte Alban: Dominican Monastery at Cuilapan
- Palau de la Musica Catalana and Hospital de Sant Pau: The original plans to paint the walls was never realized as by the end of construction a style shift occurred and the lavish decoration of the Palau was no longer in mode.
- Qhapaq Ñan: Ollantaytambo: The unfinished structures at the Temple Hill and the numerous stone blocks that litter the site indicate that it was still undergoing construction at the time of its abandonment (wiki)
- Qutb Minar: Second minerat is unfinished
- Royal Palace at Caserta: San Leucio Royal Colony: The king had planned to expand it into a true new city, called Ferdinandopoli, but the project was halted by the French invasion.
- Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans: The Saltworks was constructed but the "ideal city" which would have described an entire circle rather than the current semi-circle was never completed
- Santa Ana de los Rios de Cuenca: The square twin towers at the front of the New Cathedral are said to be unfinished (supposed to have a blue dome each as well)
- Schönbrunn: Due to the War of Spanish Succession the side wings were not completed as planned.
- Siena: Duomo: After the completion of the transept and the building of the east wall, the money ran out and the rest of the planned cathedral was abandoned.
- Strasbourg: Cathedral (second tower never erected)
- Sun Temple, Konarak
- Tchogha Zanbil: The whole city remained unfinished after it was invaded by Ashurbanipal in 640 BC, as shown by the thousands of unused bricks left at the site. It was unlikely that many people ever lived there.
- Vienna: Northern tower of St. Stephan's Cathedral
- Wadden Sea: unfinished dam to Ameland (1872) Link
- Works of Antoni Gaudí: Sagrada Familia
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Unfinished constructions?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source