Henry Morton Stanley
Stanley was a British journalist and explorer famous for his exploration of Africa and his search for David Livingstone.
The connection belongs to Individual People connections.
- Persepolis: Inscribed his name as Graffiti on Bull Gates "Stanley New York Herald 1870". Still visible!
- Rwenzori Mountains: First European to see the range (1889) during his expedition to rescue Emin Pasha. Highest peak named after him.
- Stone Town of Zanzibar: Equipped and commenced his expedition to find Livingstone - Mar 1871.
- Tombs of Buganda Kings: The tomb of Muteesa I (1835-84) is "guarded" by a cannon brought to Uganda by Stanley in 1875 and given to Muteesa when the 2 met.
- Westminster: Was an MP 1895-1900 (Liberal Unionist for Lambeth North).
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Henry Morton Stanley?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source