Sites connected to groups known as "Gypsies", that consist of Roma, Sinti or Dom people
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Auschwitz Birkenau: Over 20,000 were murdered here
- Granada: The Albayzin district incorporates their quarter
- Istanbul: The Sulukule district (within the inscribed area was the traditional area for Roma/Romani etc. Istanbul has just been criticized for not protecting it. Link
- Old City of Jerusalem: A group of 5000 Dom "gypsies" has lived in East Jerusalem for the past 800 years. They are considered to have departed from the Indian subcontinent earlier than the Romani people
- Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans: From May 1941 to September 1943, the French authorities established an internment camp to hold the area's gypsies and others with no fixed address (Centre de Rassemblement des tziganes et nomades). (wiki)
- Tokaji Wine Region: a major minority group mainly in Szerencs
- Villages with Fortified Churches: After the departure of most Saxons to Germany, the villages have become virtual "Roma villages" (60% of the population)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Gypsies?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source