Sites with close links to a "Goddess"
The connection belongs to Religion and Belief connections.
- Acropolis: Parthenon built to worship Athena
- Ahwar of Southern Iraq: Eanna, the temple of the Goddess Inanna at Uruk
- Ancient Thebes: Temple Precinct of Mut at Karnak Link
- Aphrodisias: Aphrodite is the Greek goddess of love, beauty, pleasure, and procreation. (wiki)
- Archaeological Site of Delphi: Sanctuary of Athena Acropolis - also Temple of Athena Nike
- Ashur: centre for worship of the goddess Ishtar
- Baalbek: Temple of Venus Link
- Butrint: Goddess of Butrint
- Champaner-Pavagadh: "The traditional Hindu explanation for the (Pavagardh) hill is that it was formed from the toe of the goddess Sati, a previous incarnation of Kali. Sati, the faithful consort of Shiva, was angry when her father slighted her husband, and in protest, killed herself. To prevent the mourning Shiva from going mad with grief, Vishnu cut up Sati's body, the parts of which fell to earth."
- Cilento and Vallo di Diano: Paestum: Temple of Hera and Temple of Athena
- Gamzigrad-Romuliana: Includes a temple to the cult goddess Kibela or Cybele Link
- Ibiza: The shrine at Es Cuieram (Es Culleram) is one of the most important sites on Ibiza dedicated to the Phoenician Goddess Tanit.
- Itsukushima Shrine: For Shinto goddesses of the sea
- Kandy: Devale (shrine) of Goddess Pattini
- Kathmandu Valley: Kumari the "Living Goddess"
- Lednice-Valtice Cultural Landscape: Temple of Diana
- Macao: Ama Temple for Goddess of the Sea
- Manas Wildlife Sanctuary: The name of the park is originated from the Manas River, which is named after the serpent goddess Manasa. (Wiki)
- Melaka and George Town: Kuan Yin Teng, or Temple of the Goddess of Mercy, is one of the most important temples in Georgetown, Penang
- Mexico City and Xochimilco: Sculptures of Chalchiuhtlicue, the water goddess, at Templo Mayor
- Mount Taishan: Azure Cloud Temple is dedicated to the daughter of the God of Mount Tai, the goddess Laomu.
- Mount Wutai: Mount Wutai's Jinge Temple housing 32 armed goddess of mercy
- Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers: Nanda Devi National Park is named after Nanda Goddess, a manifestation of Goddess Parvati
- Nubian Monuments: Philae sanctuary for Isis
- Olympia: Heraion for Hera is the place where the torch of Olympic flame is lit
- Osun-Osogbo: Goddess of fertility Osun
- Palau de la Musica Catalana & Hospital de Sant Pau: sculptures of the Muses
- Paphos: Aphrodite: Aphrodite's Sanctuary & Aphrodite's Sacred City are part of the WHS
- Ping Yao: Goddress of Mercy Hall at Shuaglin Temple, Pingyao
- Portovenere, Cinque Terre, and the Islands: Portovenere - Venus' Port
- Pythagoreion and Heraion of Samos: The Heraion was a sanctuary for Hera
- Statue of Liberty: Libertas, Goddess of Freedom
- Teotihuacan: Great Goddess of Teotihuaca
- Upper Middle Rhine Valley: Niederwalddenkmal at Ruedesheim
- Wachau Cultural Landscape: Venus of Willendorf
- Xanthos-Letoon: Sanctuary to Leto
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Goddesses?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source