The connection belongs to History connections.
- Ancient Kyoto: Minamoto no Yorimasa. He killed himself by seppuku in Byodo-in, one of the listed monuments in Uji. His seppuku was the first recorded to have been carried out as an alternative to surrendering to enemies.
- Baekje Historic Areas: Nakhwaam Rock (Buseosanseong) “Nakhwaam is a rock cliff towering over Baengmagang River in the northern end of Busosan Mountain. According to the legend, this is where the royal court women of Baekje jumped off to kill themselves when the kingdom of Baekje was defeated during the invasion of Sabiseong Fortress (now Busosanseong Fortress in Buyeo) by the Shilla-Tang Alliance. The name of this rock, Nakhwaam, literally means "the cliff of falling flowers" and symbolizes the fidelity and loyalty of Baekje women.” Link
- Gusuku of Ryukyu: Gusuku's Nakijin Castle for the story of local Lord Gosamaru Link
- Gyeongju: "When Gyeon Hwon's army sacked Gyeongju in 927, they found Gyeongae partying at the Poseokjeong pavilion. The king killed himself rather than surrender. Gyeon Hwon set Gyeongsun on the throne in his stead, and returned to the west." - wiki
- Imperial Palace: Empress Zhuang Lie Min who hanged herself at the Hall of Earthly Tranquility inside the palace
- Kii Mountain Range: Kongobuji Temple, Koyasan is where Toyotomi Hideyoshi's nephew Toyotomi Hidetsugu committed 'seppuku' (ritual suicide) in 1595, considered as one of the most shocking seppuku in Japanese History.
- Le Morne: Maroons reputedly "..flung themselves to their death off its sides rather than be recaptured"
- Masada: Zealots
- National History Park: Sans souci Haiti - Crippled by a stroke, King Henri I committed suicide on the grounds of the palace on October 8, 1820.
- Prague: Jan Palach, student who committed suicide by self-immolation as a political protest.
- Rome: Lucretia. She became a symbol of chastity after she preferred committing suicide to living the shame of having been raped.
- Thungyai-Huai Kha Khaeng: Huai Kha Kheng - The suicide of Head Ranger "Seub Nakhasathien" as a cry for help from society and public authorities to seriously solve natural resources problems.
- Vatican City: Alessandro Benedetti, a young Italian cadet officer of the elite Vatican police force, died of a gunshot wound inflicted by himself in 2007 in the Gendarmes barracks.
- Yin Xu: King Zhou of the Shang Dynasty of ancient China. Another ruler who killed himself as his kingdom was being taken over. He burnt himself along with his palace.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Famous suicides?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source