Matteo Ricci was an Italian Jesuit priest, and one of the founding figures of the Jesuit China Mission, as it existed in the 17th-18th centuries. (wiki)
The connection belongs to Individual People connections.
- Churches and Convents of Goa: 1578 stays as Jesuit Priest for 4 years assigned teaching duties at College of St Paul
- Classical Gardens of Suzhou: c1598/9 vists after first failure to see Emperor
- Grand Canal: The canal has been admired by many throughout history including ... Matteo Ricci (1552-1610). (wiki)
- Imperial Palace: 1601 First Westerner in Forbidden city, stayed until his death in 1610
- Macao: 1582 arrives and starts learning Chinese (Coinciding with building of Jesuit Cathedral of St Paul 1582 - 1602 now ruined)
- Rome: 1571 enters Society of Jesus at the Roman College (Later the Pontifical Gregorian University or Gregorianum)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Matteo Ricci?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source