Built or owned by Germans
Sites outside the current borders of Germany that were built or owned by Germans
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Auschwitz Birkenau: Former German extermination camps
- Banc d'Arguin: Arguin was owned by Brandenburg/Prussia from 1685-1721. They built a fort there.
- Banska Stiavnica: The Tajchy was planned by local German scientists and designed by Von Erlach
- Bardejov Town: German settlers
- Bryggen: "Kantor" used / built by Gerrman traders
- Budapest: House of Terror, former Gestapo headquarters
- Centennial Hall: Built by a German architect at the time in which Wroclaw was a German city
- Christiansfeld: Built by German settlers
- Churches of Peace: Built by German architects in an area formerly partially inhabited by Germans
- Cocos Island: August Gissler was allowed by the Costa Rican government to establish a colony there in 1897.
- Cracow: Oskar Schindler's Factory
- Curonian Spit: Teutonic Order castles and German farmers / settlers
- Engelsberg Ironworks: Mining here started by a German miner
- Fray Bentos: Originally founded and built by the German "Liebig Extract of Meat Company" in 1863.
- Heritage of Mercury: Idrija's Town Hall was built by German-born architects Clemens M. Kattner and Gustav Adolf König.
- Holasovice: Initially built for settlers from Bavaria and Austria
- Istanbul: German Fountain at the northern end of old hippodrome (Sultanahmet Square)
- L'viv: Boim Chapel was built by German architect Andreas Bemer
- Lamu Old Town: The old German Post Office in Lamu dates back to 1881 Link
- Lednice-Valtice Cultural Landscape: Owned by the House of Liechtenstein, then part of the German Confederation
- Malbork Castle: Built by members of the Teutonic Order, a German Roman Catholic religious order.
- Mir Castle: Once owned by Chlodwig Carl Viktor, Fürst zu Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst, Fürst von Ratibor und Corvey
- Old City of Jerusalem: Muristan: center of the German colony in Jerusalem in the 19th century, rebuilt the Crusader church of St. Mary Latina as the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer (Erl?serkirche)
- Old Town Lunenburg: Among the early settlers were many from various parts of Germany
- Prague: St Nicolas Church (expanded by Christoph Dientzenhofer), Saxonian House, Palais Wallenstein among others
- Riga: Fortress built by the German Knights of the Sword
- Santa Ana de los Rios de Cuenca: The New Cathedral was designed by Juan Bautista Stiehle, a German-born friar.
- Sighisoara: Built by Saxonian settlers
- Spissky Hrad and Levoca: Samuel Breuer's printing house
- Strasbourg: Strasbourg was German until 1639 (and several times after)
- Struve Geodetic Arc: Von Struve was a Baltic German, born at Altona (Hamburg), Germany
- Tallinn: Temporarily owned by the Teutonic Order (14th century)
- Tarnowskie Góry Lead-Silver Mine: The “Phase II” of mining (from 1784 to 1910) covers the period corresponding with the Prussian state-led industrialisation process (AB ev)
- Telc: Josef Lang's cloth factory [Im ehemaligen Hof Slavatas entsteht im 19. Jahrhundert Josef Langs Tuchfabrik, die fast 600 Mitarbeiter hatte.]
- Torun: Castle built by the Teutonic Order
- Tugendhat Villa
- Valparaiso: Cerro Alegre and Cerro Concepción, a single neighbourhood planned and developed to a large extent by German and English immigrants, with squares, viewing points, promenades, alleyways, stairways and the top stations of some of Valparaíso’s distinctive funicular elevators. (Unesco)
- Venice and its Lagoon: The Fondaco dei Tedeschi ("The Germans' Inn") was the headquarters and restricted living quarters of the German merchant population in Venice
- Verla Groundwood and Board Mill: Verla was grounded by Wilhelm Dippel and Louis Haenelin, both Germans, and Gottlieb Kreidl, an Austrian
- Vienna: The Headquarters of the Gestapo in Vienna's Hotel Metropol Link
- Villages with Fortified Churches
- Wooden Churches of Southern Malopolska: Hacz?w. In the 14th century there was a German settlement there called Hanshof.
- Wooden Churches of the Slovak Carpathians: Kezmarok used to be a German settlement
- Zamosc: Rosa Luxemburg's House in the Market Square
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built or owned by Germans?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source