Repainted in a different colour
Major monuments within the core zone of a WHS, that have been over the course of history repainted in a different colour.
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Lumbini: the site with Buddhas remains and footprint was terra cotta in the past and is now white
- Melaka and George Town: Melaka: Originally, the Stadhuys like the other Dutch administrative buildings in South East Asia was painted white. However, after Melaka was handed over to the British, it was re-painted terra cotta by the British in 1911.
- Struve Geodetic Arc: Tartu Observatory in Estonia: from bright yellow to white
- Trinity Sergius Lavra: Repainted in much more bright colours: Gate Church of St John the Baptist which is now technicolor
- Upper Middle Rhine Valley: Mouse Tower in Bingen and the Pfalzgrafenstein Castle, both were recently painted in white with red elements Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Repainted in a different colour?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source