Bombarded by the British Navy
WHS which have at some time (pre-WWI) been "bombarded" by the British Navy.
The connection belongs to Damaged connections.
- Cartagena: March 1741 during the War of Jenkins Ear - with Spain Link
- Fortress of Suomenlinna: Aug 1855 for 2 days with the French Navy during the Crimean War (When it was owned by Russia)
- Forts and Castles Gold Coast: the Royal Navy under Captain Thomas Shirley fired upon Dutch-occupied Fort St. Jago from the HMS Leander during the Battle of Elmina in 1782 Link
- Island of Gorée: the Royal Navy under Admiral Augustus Keppel bombarded the French-occupied fortress on the island and then captured it in December 1758 during the Seven Years War. Link
- Kasbah of Algiers: 27 Aug 1816 Link
- Old City of Acre: the Royal Navy and the Austrian Navy bombarded the port and city of Acre during the ouster of Muhammed Ali Pasha in November 1840 Link
- Old Havana: 1762 during the 7 Year's War Link
- Portobelo-San Lorenzo: the Royal Navy bombarded the Spanish-held Todo Fierro fort and Santiago fortress in Panama during the Battle of Porto Bello in November 1739 as part of the War of Jenkins' Ear Link
- Québec: 1690 Strictly by the American Colonists who were later to become the "US" rather than the "British"! Failed but led to the construction of the defences we see today Link
- San Pedro de la Roca Castle: the Royal Navy under Rear Admiral Charles Knowles unsuccessfully bombarded this Cuban, Spanish-occupied castle, also called the Castillo del Morro, in April 1748 during the War of Jenkins' Ear. Link
- Solovetsky Islands: "During the Crimean War, the Solovetsky Monastery was attacked by three British ships. After nine hours of shelling on the 6 and 7 July 1855 the vessels left with nothing." (Wiki)
- Stone Town of Zanzibar: the Royal Navy launched a bombardment of the Sultan's palace during the very brief Anglo-Zanzibar War in August 1896 Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Bombarded by the British Navy?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source