Chichen Itza
Tanum
Sagarmatha
Mostar
Gebel Berkal
Qin

World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Quadriga

"A quadriga (Latin quadri-, four, and iugum, yoke) is a car or chariot drawn by four horses abreast (the Roman Empire's equivalent of Ancient Greek tethrippon). It was raced in the Ancient Olympic Games and other contests. It is represented in profile as the chariot of gods and heroes on Greek vases and in bas-relief. The quadriga was adopted in ancient Roman chariot racing. Quadrigas were emblems of triumph; Victory and Fame often are depicted as the triumphant woman driving it. In classical mythology, the quadriga is the chariot of the gods; Apollo was depicted driving his quadriga across the heavens, delivering daylight and dispersing the night. The word quadriga may refer to the chariot alone, the four horses without it, or the combination." Wiki - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadriga

The connection belongs to Constructions connections.

Connected Sites

  • Paris, Banks of the Seine: 2 on the Grand Palais "A monumental bronze quadriga by Georges Récipon tops each wing of the main façade. The one on the Champs-Élysées side depicts Immortality prevailing over Time, the one on the Seine side Harmony triumphing over Discord." Wiki - see  Link
  • Rome: Atop each wing of the "Altare della Patria", the monument to Victor Emmanuele II  Link
  • St. Petersburg: One above the main arch of the General staff Building in Palace Sq (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Staff_Building_(Saint_Petersburg)) and another above the facade of the Alexandrinsky Theatre  Link
  • Venice and its Lagoon: "The Horses of St Mark". Dating "from classical antiquity and .. attributed to the 4th century BC Greek sculptor Lysippos" (Wiki). Long displayed in the Hippodrome at Constantinople with the Quadriga to which they were attached, the horses were looted by Venetian forces at the sacking of that city during the 4th Crusade in 1204 and placed on the loggia above the porch of St Mark's Basilica. They were then looted again by Napoleon in 1797 for use on the Arc de Triomph but were returned to St Mark's loggia in 1815 where they remaineduntil the 1980s when they were moved inside and replaced by replicas. See  Link

Suggestions?

Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Quadriga?

Send it to me!

A connection should:

  1. Not be "self evident"
  2. Link at least 3 different sites
  3. Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
  4. Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
  5. Be explained, with reference to a source