WHS that lie within Natura 2000 sites.
Natura 2000 is a network of nature protection areas in the territory of the European Union. It is made up of Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) and Special Protection Areas (SPAs) designated respectively under the Habitats Directive and Birds Directive. The network includes both terrestrial and marine sites (Marine Protected Areas (MPAs)). (wiki)
Actually, all European Natural and Mixed WHS are also Natura 2000 sites, except for:
- Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid region
- Durmitor National Park
- Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch
- West Norwegian Fjords – Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord
(because they're in non-EU countries)
- Messel Pit Fossil Site
The connection belongs to WHS on Other Lists connections.
- Aggtelek and Slovak Karst: in 2004, the Aggtelek National Park and the Slovensk´y kras National Park became part of the EU-wide network of protected the Natura 2000 sites.
- Belovezhskaya Pushcha / Bialowieza Forest: EU Natura 2000 Special Area of Conservation (wiki)
- Danube Delta Link
- Dolomites: large parts of the UNESCO Dolomite site comprises of Natura 2000 sites Link
- Donana National Park
- Dorset and East Devon Coast: Isle of Portland to Studland Cliffs Link
- Garajonay Link
- Giant's Causeway Link
- Gulf of Porto
- High Coast / Kvarken Archipelago Link
- Isole Eolie
- Laponian Area Link
- Laurisilva of Madeira Link
- Loire Valley: Vallées de la Loire et de ses affluents Link
- Meteora Link
- Mount Athos
- Mount Etna: In addition, nine Natura 2000 sites overlap the nominated property to various degrees, providing additional protection for 77% of the nominated area under European legislation. (AB ev)
- Pico Island Link
- Pirin National Park
- Plitvice Lakes Link
- Primeval Beech Forests Link
- Pyrénées - Mont Perdu: "le site du patrimoine mondial est couvert par un complexe de zones Natura 2000"
- Skocjan Caves
- Southern Öland: - Large portions of Southern Öland were added after inscription. "In the south of Öland about 13,900 hectares have been proposed for inclusion in Natura 2000. 1,806 hectares of these are designated as “Bird conservation areas” while 12,477 hectares are proposed as “Natural habitat protection area”. Fifty-five of the species included in the annexes to the Habitats and Birds Directive are represented in the south of Öland." - nomination file Link
- Srebarna Nature Reserve: The property is also included in two Natura 2000 sites: the Srebarna Special Protection Area and Ludogorie-Srebarna Special Area of Conservation. (Unesco website)
- Stevns Klint
- Teide National Park Link
- Wadden Sea: Duinen van Texel Nationaal Park Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Natura 2000?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source