Cultural sites closely connected to volcanoes
These cultural sites are characterized by the significant presence of a volcano in the central area or on the horizon. This volcanic presence contributes to the universal value of the property. Mixed sites are excluded.
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Bali Subak system: Batur
- Naples: "the outline of Mount Vesuvius in the background" (AB ev)
- Pico Island
- Pompei: Eruption of Vesuvius on 24 August AD 79
- Popocatepetl monasteries
- Rapa Nui: Poike, Rano Kau and Terevaka volcanoes
- Ruins of León Viejo: Overlooked and partially destroyed by Momotombo (1578)
- Takht-e Soleyman: it contains a volcano and an artesian lake as essential elements of the site (Unesco website)
- Tequila: foothills of the Tequila Volcano
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Cultural sites closely connected to volcanoes?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source