An atoll is a coral island (or islands) that encircles a lagoon partially or completely. The connection includes "Raised Atolls" which are now solid/near solid islands or at least have lost their classic lagoon form.
The connection belongs to Geography connections.
- Aldabra Atoll: Raised Coral atoll
- Bikini Atoll
- East Rennell: Raised Coral atoll
- Henderson Island: Raised Coral atoll
- Lagoons of New Caledonia: Atolls d'Entrecasteaux and Atoll d'Ouvéa et Beautemps-Beaupré
- Nan Madol: Stone city on a coral atoll
- Papahanaumokuakea: Papahanaumokuakea Atolls within the NP include Midway, Kure, Pearl and Hermes
- Phoenix Islands: "collection of atolls"
- Sanganeb: Sanganeb Atoll Marine National Park
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Atoll?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source