World's most prominant mountains
WHS containing one of the world's 40 most "Prominent" mountains
"In topography, prominence, also known as autonomous height, relative height, shoulder drop (in North America), or prime factor (in Europe), categorizes the height of the mountain's.. summit by the elevation between it and the lowest contour line encircling it and no higher summit. It is a measure of the independence of a summit" and "The prominence of a peak is the minimum height of climb to the summit on any route from a higher peak...The lowest point on that route is the col." (Wiki). Showing
a. the "Prominence height" above the "col". Prominence Height = height above the relevant contour or Mean Sea Level (MSL) if the nearest higher peak is not on same land mass.
b. The "Col" height used
c. The "Parent Peak" used
For a discussion on meanings and alternative definitions of "Prominence", "Parent Peak" etc see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topographic_prominence.
Prominence Map - link
The connection belongs to Geography connections.
- Fujisan: 35th
- Hawaii Volcanoes: Mauna Kea 15th most prominent (4205m/0/MSL)
- Kilimanjaro National Park: Mt Kilimanjaro 4th most prominent (5882m/10m/Mt Everest)
- Kinabalu Park: Mt Kinabalu 20th most prominent (4095m/0/MSL)
- Lorentz National Park: Puncak Jaya 9th most prominent (5884m/0/MSL)
- Mount Kenya: 32nd most prominent (3825m/1374m/Kilimanjaro)
- Sagarmatha National Park: Mt Everest world's most prominent (8848m/0/MSL)
- Simien National Park: Ras Dashan 23rd most prominent (3997m/553m/Kilimanjaro)
- Te Wahipounamu: Mt Cook 37th most prominent (3775m/0/MSL)
- Teide National Park: Mt Teide 40th most prominant (3718m/0/MSL)
- Xinjiang Tianshan: Bogda Peak, Jengish Chokusu
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to World's most prominant mountains?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source