A tower house is a particular type of stone structure, built for defensive purposes as well as habitation.
The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Benedictine Convent of St. John: the oldest towerhouse in the Alps (from the 10th century) Link
- Berat and Gjirokastra: Typical houses consist of a tall stone block structure which can be up to five stories high (kule at Gjirokastra)
- Historic Jeddah
- Kaiping Diaolou
- Koutammakou: Takienta tower houses
- Mesa Verde: Square Tower House
- Regensburg: Ca. 40 patrician houses
- Rila Monastery: Hrelyo's Tower, built in 1334-5 by protosebastos Hrelja in the courtyard of the Rila Monastery, is a pre-Ottoman example of an autonomous tower that served residential as well as defensive purposes (wiki)
- San Gimignano
- Um er-Rasas: stylites
- Upper Svaneti
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Tower-houses?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source